Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no power windows or wipers or interior lights

unclerudy
10-24-2005, 03:42 PM
HI: All of a sudden I don't have wipers, power windows or interior lights and chime. I have check all the fuses and they are fine although not all are getting power to them. I have also checked as many relays as possible. Does anyone know where I might look for this problem on my 1996 Explorer XLT ?????
UncleRudy

exploded99
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
The GEM module behinf the radio is involved in all those functions. Not common for them to fail, but you can probably verify by checking your four wheel drive - if it won't work either this might be your problem.

GEM = General Electronics Module
CTM= Central Timer Module

They are one unit. The GEM/CTM controls the following features:

wiper/washer (front/rear), warning chime, battery saver
illuminated entry and courtesy lamps
driver one touch down power window (GEM only)
accessory delay
4 wheel drive (GEM only)

Dealer can check codes to verify. These are codes specific to the GEM circuits - only the dealer or a good shop will have equipment to read them.

unclerudy
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
That is great advise. I will check it right now and let you know how I do. Thank you for your time.
UncleRudy

unclerudy
10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
My 4 wheel drive doesn't work so I think we are in the right place. That part is very expensive ($359) so I want to make sure there isn't something causing that to pop. Any idea????

exploded99
10-26-2005, 11:59 PM
My 4 wheel drive doesn't work so I think we are in the right place. That part is very expensive ($359) so I want to make sure there isn't something causing that to pop. Any idea????

Ford uses a new star generation tester to pull and read the codes from the GEM. I believe a few shops have equipment that can read those codes - I think that is the only test which will tell you for sure whether its bad. There are a ton of circuits related to the GEM and I hate to say replace it without checking the codes first.

But, since you have a 96, there are lots of rollovers in the junkyards. If you match the part number, you should be able to pull one from a rollover for 1/4 the new price or less. They rarely fail - a used one s/b ok. Thats probably about the same price as a diagnostic fee at Ford.

unclerudy
10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=exploded99]But, since you have a 96, there are lots of rollovers in the junkyards. [QUOTE]
Now that is funny!!! I was thinking of doing just that. I had auto zone check my codes because my check engine light has been on for a year, but they said it was something to do with the catalytic converter or a vacuum hose.

Could these codes still be read somewhere else???

I apprecaite your help with this.

UncleRudy

exploded99
10-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Autozone reads codes that set your check engine light. Those are powertrain or P type codes. Your GEM circuit sets B type codes which cannot be read by regular code scanners.

A good shop may have the equipment to read B type codes - you will have to pay a diagnostic fee in all likelyhood. This could still be a wiring issue as opposed to a GEM module issue -

B33p3r
10-27-2005, 08:51 PM
One other thing you can try is the "Battery Saver Relay". I believe these items are all tied to it. The tell all I belive would be the 4 wheel drive. Are you not getting a "light" saying your in 4 wheel drive or is it actually not going into 4 wheel drive? Check the relay regardless. It's cheaper than the GEM.
The relay is in the vicinity of the GEM behind the center of the dash.

unclerudy
10-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Ok thank you both. I will try that today. I think I will eventually find it. I did have a small accident which ripped off my passenger mirror which I had replaced right away. That remote is working fine, but I wonder if anything got pinched while they had the door off. Everything worked fine after until a couple of days. Maybe it is not related.
UncleRudy

unclerudy
11-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Thank you to everyone. GEM was the problem. I got a junk one and everything is working great.
Thank you
UncleRudy

Add your comment to this topic!