Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump

goatg2002
10-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I have a 94 Jimmy and I think that the fuel pump is going bad. I can hear the relays clicking but no fuel pump whine. If it is the fuel pump should I replace the pulsator, strainer and filter too? Is there a gasket?
Thanks in advance!!

1995JimmyLT
10-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Did you try replacing the relay? Just because it clicks, doesn't mean it works. There are other relays in there that are the same, you can try swapping, put the key to run and listen for the pump whining, if it does, just buy a new relay.

If it ends up you do replace the fuel pump, I'd suggest you do replace the strainer and filter too. For the trouble of removing a fuel pump, you should do the simple strainer change while it's open. Besides the new pump will probably come with a new strainer. Since your under there, a new fuel filter is no big deal either. As for a gasket, the only gasket I can think of is under the sender unit and it usually doesn't go bad. I don't know if they sell them alone, but they do come with new sender units. Senders are expensive and if this is the first time it's ever been removed and if it's rusty enough, if could break when you remove it. Good luck.

taylorman
10-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Wrong, just because the fuel pump pumps fuel doesn't mean you just go buy a new relay. Get a pressure tester first and check the pumps pressure. If it's above 54 and holds strong. Then your pump is fine. some pumps will pump fuel. Just not enough under certain driving conditions to run properly.

1995JimmyLT
10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Wrong, just because the fuel pump pumps fuel doesn't mean you just go buy a new relay. Get a pressure tester first and check the pumps pressure. If it's above 54 and holds strong. Then your pump is fine. some pumps will pump fuel. Just not enough under certain driving conditions to run properly.

True, if you don't have enough pressure, the vehicle will not run properly.

However, he said he wasn't hearing the whining of the pump, thus, it is most likely is not receiving power. If you try swapping relays with another one under the hood, to see if the pump begins to whine, then you'll know if you have a bad relay and might want to get a new one.

I didn't say this was the only problem, but it is a simple check to do before buying anything.

taylorman
11-14-2005, 04:53 PM

oops, my bad.

Add your comment to this topic!