Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 B2200 Squeaky timing belt area noise

fxrs89
10-24-2005, 10:20 AM
1991 B2200 120,000 mi
Truck was running awesome, but I had to muck about. I took it to a shop to have the timing belt changed. It came home with an annoying little squeak that sounds like a pulley noise. I replace the alt/air/ps belts and the noise is still there, I even ran the engine with the belts off and it is still there, I opened it back up myself and replaced the timing belt again, the tensioner pulley wheel, the idler pulley wheel and the water pump. Truck runs fine... but that irritating noise is still there!

I am STUMPED!

Ron-

razor34
11-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Is it like low pitched squealing noise? Because mine is doing the same thing.

Cacheola
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
You need to lubricate the hamsters wheel, lol. Or could it be the distributer?

1991 B2200 120,000 mi
Truck was running awesome, but I had to muck about. I took it to a shop to have the timing belt changed. It came home with an annoying little squeak that sounds like a pulley noise. I replace the alt/air/ps belts and the noise is still there, I even ran the engine with the belts off and it is still there, I opened it back up myself and replaced the timing belt again, the tensioner pulley wheel, the idler pulley wheel and the water pump. Truck runs fine... but that irritating noise is still there!

I am STUMPED!

Ron-

Cacheola
11-17-2005, 02:30 PM
I just turn the radio up if I hear something like that!

cheaptruck
12-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey my b2200 is doing the same low pitched squeak thing coming from the front of the engine. The motor was rebuild recently by a friend of mine who I consider more than competent, I'm thinking timing belt related. Any solutions out there? It sounds like one of those space cars from the jetsons or somthing.

dougstrum
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
it's prbly the bearing in the belt tensioner
had 2 replace mine @ 140k

Silent_Dawn
01-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I had the same problem on my B2000. I figured it was either one of the tensioner pullies, for the acc. belts, or the timing belt, or the water pump. I never figured it out...I decided to tear the truck down for a restoration/customization. I never did find the problem, yet...But it has to be one of those.

Kyrasis6
01-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I would say either tensioner or idler pully is shot, they're suppose to be replaced with the belt. The belt could also be too tight, one of the timing covers could be rubbing and making a squeeking noise or the safety spring on the tensioner pully is loose and rubbing one the metal. I have had all of these problems cause a squeek from the front of the engine.

Kyrasis6
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I would say either tensioner or idler pully is shot, they're suppose to be replaced with the belt. The belt could also be too tight, one of the timing covers could be rubbing and making a squeeking noise or the safety spring on the tensioner pully is loose and rubbing one the metal. I have had all of these problems cause a squeek from the front of the engine.

hocbj23
04-13-2006, 08:38 AM
B2200's have a small lightweigt dust shield behind the timing belt. If not careful when changing the belt you can bend the cover and cause it to rub against the belt. That is probably the noise you are hearing since you just had belt replaced.BJ

Add your comment to this topic!