Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems with Gas Pedal on 95 Honda Passport

schmak
10-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I have a 95 honda passport, 4cyl STD that is acting a little strange. It started a few weeks ago where the gas pedal would stick for, at the most, about a second after I let up from the gas so I would have to let it up a little early before hitting the clutch. After it got cold here last night its gotten worse, seems to last at the most around 30 seconds, which makes it a pain when trying to stop and the motor is going nuts. could it just be somethign gummed up in the throttle and needs to be cleaned or something worse?

Canucklehead
10-24-2005, 08:29 AM
I have a 95 honda passport, 4cyl STD that is acting a little strange. It started a few weeks ago where the gas pedal would stick for, at the most, about a second after I let up from the gas so I would have to let it up a little early before hitting the clutch. After it got cold here last night its gotten worse, seems to last at the most around 30 seconds, which makes it a pain when trying to stop and the motor is going nuts. could it just be somethign gummed up in the throttle and needs to be cleaned or something worse?
Not sure about 4-bangers but there have been people that have had similar problems which turned out to be caused by the rubber boot on the throttle cable rotting and becoming "gummy".

schmak
10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
So is that expensive or hard to replace?

I am gonna call the local dealership at lunch to see if they know any more, but I know they will over charge me for anything.

Canucklehead
10-24-2005, 01:00 PM
So is that expensive or hard to replace?

I am gonna call the local dealership at lunch to see if they know any more, but I know they will over charge me for anything.

Why replace it? Just remove it.

schmak
10-24-2005, 02:00 PM
You were exactly right. It was that rubber there, it got all melted. I just pulled it off, it came off the cable quickly, and then I cleaned the melted rubber off of the cable. Works perfect now. HUGE load off of my chest.

Thanks a lot!

2eyefishclaw
10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
you can replace the rubber part Isuzu has recalled some troopers for this concern if you want to replace it go to your local dealer tell them you want the dust cover used for the recall on the trooper throttle it is very cheap or just do like most of us pull it off and forget about it

Add your comment to this topic!