Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Vibration

blabonte
10-23-2005, 12:42 PM
My 92 LeSabre 3800 vibrates when stoped while in gear, goes away if you put it in neutral, doesn't do it while driving or in park.
changed - plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, pcv, air filter, had fuel injectors cleaned, put fuel injector cleaner in tank. Made no difference

Gocart879
10-23-2005, 01:15 PM
sounds like a broken motor mount. im sure someone else can elaborate this topic.

counselor
10-23-2005, 02:42 PM
i also have a 1997 lasabre with a slight body shake. i already did a major tune up..does any one think its the timing,a motor mount broken .the scanner does not indicate a problem. please repy .taking the ground off the battery was suggested to reset the computer ..is that recommended?

Gocart879
10-23-2005, 02:50 PM
A scanner monitors anything associated with the vehicles ECM or computer. Motor Mounts have nothing to do with the Computer, therefore its important for you to observe the engine performance and check the underbody of the vehicle for severe deterioration and rust. also look for any indicators that the motor mount may be broken. perhaps open the hood and have some one put the vehicle in drive and hold the brakes on. look for areas that the engine is bobbing around on. also put the vehicle in neutral and accelerate the engine speed rapidly,. you should hear the engine bobbing around under the hood, and also do this while in drive. overall it should not be a problem unless idleing in drive at intersections really bothers you.

counselor
10-23-2005, 02:55 PM
thank you go cart ill try all that dan. my buick only has 89000 miles i get 34 mpg so i want to keep it

93buicklesabrelmtd
10-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Its most likely the engine mount. these cars have 3 of them.
To the left of the engine from the front view. Is a engine mount.
There is another one to the front bottom right of the engine for the tranny. And one more in the back bottom right of the engine for the tranny & the engine. These mounts are little hard to change. They can also be expensive. Like 120$ for the hydrallic mount. (this 1 hold engine & tranny) cheapest mount is like 40$ i believe.

If you notice no major jerking then the mounts are in working condition. If there was a bad mount, TRUST me you will feel it!!!

Your problem you described is most likely something beeing loose.
On Sunday, take your tools, go around the engine and tightening every damn bolt your socket could get over! You will be surprised some of them maybe loose!

I fixed a vibration problem before by tigheting my cruise control module, which is mounted over the tranny. And vibrated @ the stop light only!

Add your comment to this topic!