Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car just quit,need help!

operationyak
05-22-2002, 08:51 PM
I own a 1997 chevrolet s-10. I was driving it off road(nothing fancy, just dirt and rocks on a straight path) when the engine just turned off. It did not make any noise, just simply stopped when i was moving. I stopped, tried to start the engine, but it does not starts, but just wants to start. I suppose it is something with the ignition because the spark plugs seem to not be getting and ignition. There was plenty of fuel in the car at the time. Also, when I try to start the engine, the fuel gage goes far beyond Full, and then when i stop turning the key, it slowly goes a little after full. I'm not sure if it has always done this. Also my car is standard transmission, any help would be much appreciated.

HillbilySailor
06-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Is your truck a 4 cylinder? If it is, it sounds like it's "jumped time"(meaning the timing is off). If you don't replace the timing belt at regular intervals (usually at 60,000 miles), the timing belt will stretch. If this happens, your timing gear can slip a tooth, throwing your timing off. Pull the timing belt cover off, rotate the engine until the number one piston is Top Dead Center (on the intake stroke) and look at the dots on your timing gears. If the dots don't line up, your timing is off. Hope this helps!

chriscampbell
06-15-2002, 11:54 PM
It could be your fuel pump(common), need to check the pressure. Try starting it with starting fluid, if it starts its the pump. You might have jumped time, was your engine making any noise before(timing chain rattle)? It has a timing chain not a belt. Do you have good strong fire on all cylinders? Many possabilities!! Hope this helps!

Ozzman
11-11-2002, 10:28 PM
To the Sailor one post up.

The 2.5 does not have a timing chain or belt.

Add your comment to this topic!