Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ford Explorer Loud Screeching HELP!!

LisaMichelle4702
10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok guys, I need some help here. I just started the thing and it had this loud screeching, I mean really loud. My husband changed the idle pulley and that did not work. Problem is we cannot tell where the noise is coming from........ It seems like it is somewhere around the belts there............Any suggestions.......

srercrcr
10-23-2005, 02:48 AM
I would suggest trying to determine where it is coming from.....a piece of garden hose to your ear and move around, but be careful, don't get it near the belt or fan blade. I have heard, but never tried, remove the belt and let it run (won't be charging). That rules out pulleys.

LisaMichelle4702
10-23-2005, 08:44 AM
I would suggest trying to determine where it is coming from.....a piece of garden hose to your ear and move around, but be careful, don't get it near the belt or fan blade. I have heard, but never tried, remove the belt and let it run (won't be charging). That rules out pulleys.

He tried using a stethoscope to single it out, but neither one of us could determine where it was located at. I will have him try it without the belt, did not think of that. Thnaks!!

pemere
12-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi, had the same problem and suspected pulleys etc. Noise was closest to alternator.
Used a can of liquid wrench or similar penetrating stuff. Sprayed between pulley and alternator body in direction of rotor axle. Also sprayed INTO the alternator aiming for the rotor axle. Front and rear.Screech gone ! Hope this helps.
Pete.

Add your comment to this topic!