Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Honda Accord Lemon : Safety Issue .. need help

catino
10-20-2005, 07:39 PM
I have filed a Lemon Law case against Honda for a 2003 Accord EX V6.

The problem is that when I hold the steering straight .. the car does not maintain a straight line and veers off to the left shifting a lane is less then 5 seconds (Highway at around 65 mph).

So, when I have to drive straight, I have to tug the steering wheel to the right and keep on adjusting it constantly.

Took it to the dealership (thrice, but the never took it for a test), Honda inspected it -- somehow they cannot seem to find the problem. But I see it happening day in and day out.

The lawyer's expert also has observed the problem, he says that the problem could be solved by simply readjusting the steering wheel. However Honda flatly denies that the problem even exists, and refuses to acknowledge and remedy the situation.

The court has ordered a video shoot. In addition to that, I also want to ask Honda to present metrics related to how much the car is veering compared to a new car and have it ratified by its own factory standards or by the DOT or the NHTSA saying that such a deviation is normal, safe and acceptable. I believe, once relevant metrics are presented, there would be no need for a subjective opinion at all.

I wanted to seek help to figure out what should be the metrics I should be asking for from Honda? And how should that data be presented?
Appreciate any help you an provide on the same.

CraigFL
10-21-2005, 07:08 AM
The real problem here is that a "sample of one" your car vs. their car really makes it hard to prove anything. There are so many variables like alignment, tire pressure, tires, road surface and corner weight that make testing difficult and expensive.
My test would put a device on the steering wheel to measure the force it takes to center the steering wheel, keeping the car going down the road straight. Before testing, you would need to try to measure the two cars according to the parameters I gave above.

After this kind of testing, you would have determined what is wrong and what needs to be fixed-- so then why not fix it and end the situation...

Good Luck!!

catino
10-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your reply Craig. Completely agree with you as regards the metrics solving the problem. I am hoping the sampling would tell whether there is a deviation and if it is considered safe and acceptable by the DOT / NHTSA.

Right now the problem is that Honda is unwilling to accept that there is anything wrong with the car, and I feel there is. Either party could be wrong, but unless relevant metrics are presented and compared, which only Honda can do, the opinions will remain subjective in nature.

The following URL would give you an idea of what I am looking at. Would greatly appreciate your help in refining the same.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6561049/Car_Metrics_ver_1.0.xls.html

[click or copy/paste the URL to your browser. Scroll down to the web page and click on "Free" access. The server will assign you a download ticket and provide a download link after a few seconds at the bottom of the page]

dogbreath077
11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Take your front tires, and switch them. Left to right & Visa versa. If it pulls to the other side, the it is in the tires. If it does not change, put the front tires on the rear & visa versa. If the pull changes, then it is in the tires. HOWEVER, if there is no change in the pull before and after the aforementionsed actions, then it is a mechanical issue with the car. Also make sure the tire pressure is correct on all 4 tires

fredjacksonsan
11-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Has Honda even offered to perform an alignment? Have you taken it to another dealer?

It sounds like it may be too late for these options, since suit has already been brought.

I'd go with Craig and dogbreaths' advice both -- check your tires, switch them, make sure they're all the same size and make. Make sure pressure is the same for all 4. Then do the test.

You could also go to an independent shop, ask them to do an alignment and straighten the wheel for you and see if that solves the problem. Worst you could end up is having to pay for the alignment, best off is to have Honda over the coals when you find out what the problem is at the independent guy.

Cat Fuzz
11-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Is the car actually pulling to the left or is it that you are trying to drive with the steering wheel in a certain position? It sounds to me like a simple, proper front end alignment would solve the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!