Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

this is wierd....

crabby760
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
my car will puff some white smoke whenever i get on the gas...

did a cylinder compression test... 210 in all 4 cylinders... so rings are great...

does not leak any oil..... at alll... oil is old needs changing bad

and my car does'nt ever heat up... always cool where its supposed to be...

i do not know what is wrong... i have yet to change the oil but i dont see how that could cause white smoke..?

2.2 Straight six
10-20-2005, 06:30 PM
is it turbo ? white smoke under acceleration on turbo cars often indicated that the turbo's burning oil.

S13wanabe
10-20-2005, 09:02 PM
When it happened to me it was a blown head gasket. If it is the early cold morning the exhaust will be evaporating the condensation inside. If it is none of these two things, I am not sure.

crabby760
10-20-2005, 09:51 PM
not turbo..

stock jdm b16a 92 just have intake exhaust...

has old stock cat convertor and stock exhaust piping

headgasket blown it would overheat rite? my shit runs cool man

oil is bout 8 months old

and test 210 in all 4 cylinders so i know the block is sealed up nice

civickiller
10-20-2005, 10:02 PM
what color is your coolant ?

S13wanabe
10-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah it could be a real small crack in the head gasket, but shit, change your damn oil. Hondas need oil changes frequently. The b-series engine is a high reving, high compression motor. You should be changing the oil every 3,000 miles.

crabby760
10-20-2005, 11:59 PM
im changing oil tommorow and plugs..

coolant is green.... fresh

crabby760
10-21-2005, 12:00 AM
only puffs white smoke at low low rpms.... when i rail on it nothing comes out

Schister66
10-21-2005, 03:31 AM
It won't smoke when you stomp on it.....think about that!

If you run it up to higher rpm's and then let it slowly rev itself down, under its own power, you'll smoke liek a Mofo! Do you know why? Its because that gasket has a vaccuum on it and therefore the coolant is sucked into the cylinder and burned....white smoke!

When you stomp on it, there is no vaccuum so the heavy coolant stays where it is.

crabby760
10-21-2005, 04:17 AM
but if headgasket is blown... wouldn't my car heat up?

and when i let it downrev on its own ... it dont smoke either..

superbluecivicsi
10-21-2005, 04:43 AM
evaporation maybe.

Schister66
10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
idk, but so far i'm stickin w/ the hg.....

tech.
11-02-2005, 07:06 PM
just cause its got good compression doesent mean its not oil.. lets face it its a 92, could be valve stem seals they are basicaly rubber and they just get old and hard and stop working properly, plus the piston rings have three rings one is an oil ring all these could play a part in oil smoke

j

CrxFreak91
11-04-2005, 03:17 AM
sounds like the head gasket to me, there is like 3-4 differnt places it could crack and cause several diffent problems, between the cylinder and oil line, cylinder and coolant line, cylinder to cylinder, cylinder to outside there is alot of possibiltys

CrxFreak91
11-04-2005, 03:19 AM
i would just take the head off and rebuild it. it doesnt cost much for head gasket, valve stem seals, and everything else you would need

Airdale Mech.950
11-04-2005, 03:36 PM
white smoke is water or coolant it could be your head gasket or your coolant sleeves

tech.
11-06-2005, 05:19 PM
you can do a minor rebuild would not be costly if this is something thats bothering you, pull the head have it reworked, pull the oil pan , remove the piston and rering them, throw in a set of new rod bearings and hone the cylinders then it would stop all oil consumption and freshing up most of the engine with out even having to pull the motor. It works really well if done properly. I have done a ton of these on four cylinders.

j.

crabby760
11-15-2005, 07:45 PM
i bought a new headgasket today at autozone... haven't installed yet

thing is... my car doesn't overheat or get HOT AT ALL...

no oil in my radiator coolant

oil is pure oil

radiator doesn't bubble up at all...

compression is 220 in all 4 cylinders....

DOESN"T SHOW ANY SGNS OF HEADGASKET OR RINGS..... except for the little white smoke

crabby760
11-16-2005, 01:18 AM
what do you have to take off in order to remove the head to change the headgasket...?... curious wnana do it tommorow

neespapa
11-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Everyone is addressing the big picture for you, and that is great, but it seems you need some explanations as to why it is not overheating, etc.

A small puff of smoke is not going to lead significant oil consumption or antifreeze consumption (depending on if it is truly white/blue oil smoke or pure white antifreeze vapor-{antifreeze does not smoke, it is a sickly-sweet smelling moisture vapor})

Assuming it is oil: 210 means you have good compression/no big "hole" for compression to escape. To verify the presence of a leak you'd have to have a cylinder leak down test performed on each cyl.

Assuming it is coolant: Small puffs would indicate a small reduction in pressure/very slow coolant loss and no overheating. You still have a funcitoning fan, water pump, rad. cap, radiator, and plenty of coolant so as far as heat goes, the engine is happy.

My guess: It's oil (harder to find/more expensive to fix). Why: If you had a small coolant leak, most likely when you started it in the morning it would be harder to start than normal and there would likely be initial puffing of white vapor and rough ildle; all three of which would clear up after running for a few minutes.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!