Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Olds "Ninety-Eight" 3.8L engine same as in Chevrolet Lumina?

clydehowell
10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I am thinking about buying a 1996 "Ninety-Eight" and want to know if it has the same 3.8 Liter engine that is used the late model Chevrolet Lumainas have that have the chronic problem of upper & lower intake manifold gaskets failing ?

Does anyone have any information/experience on this matter?

Than you,
Clyde Howell

maxwedge
10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Yes, but the gaskets aren't the problem, it is degradation of ther egr passage in the upper manifold, intake gasket problems are rare, not like the 3.1/3.4.

clydehowell
10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes, but the gaskets aren't the problem, it is degradation of ther egr passage in the upper manifold, intake gasket problems are rare, not like the 3.1/3.4.

Thank you very much for answering my question. Also, Is this egr passage degredation a very expensive/serious problemin this 1996 car?

And, is there anything else that I should be aware of before buying?

Thank you,
Clyde Howell

Cadillakin'98
10-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Also about the EGR thing........

I believe that is whats happening on this '90 model I'm trying to help with. I know the EGR valve is fairly expensive ($150 to $175 from what I understand) but isn't it possible to simply clean (recondition) the existing EGR valve? I'm very mechanically inclined and understand that if I were to take apart the EGR valve that it must be put back together correctly to function properly. I've cleaned my sisters EGR on a Chevy Blazer and it seemed to help (and made codes go away), but the EGR on this 3.8 looks more sophisticated, and I'm just curious if "reconditioning" it would be alright and/or advised.

maxwedge
10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
All you can do with these is clean up the carbon on the pintle and shaft and where it seats in the block.

Cadillakin'98
10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
thats what I thought, thanks for your help

Add your comment to this topic!