Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 rodeo vibration

madison rodeo
10-20-2005, 09:18 AM
When I am going down the Hwy. my rodeo vibrates. It seems to be coming from the front end of the truck. I bought new tires thinking they were the problem, but has not solve the problem. I know I need an alignment. I was told maybe I need a new tie rod. But I don't know.

Is there another problem that would cause the vibration in the truck?

amigo-2k
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Could be tie rod, or mybe you tossed a wheel weight, or a weight was tossed off the drive shaft.

Go Badgers! (I'm in Madison too).

hazegrey
10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Could be tie rod, or mybe you tossed a wheel weight, or a weight was tossed off the drive shaft.

Go Badgers! (I'm in Madison too).

Does anyone have or know where the location of and/or have pics of the drive shaft weights. I have had my wheels looked at and tie rods checked and have new tires and I have replaced the carrier(center) bearing and I still get vibration and wheel like shakes

madison rodeo
10-21-2005, 10:24 AM
When I am going down the Hwy. my rodeo vibrates. It seems to be coming from the front end of the truck. I bought new tires thinking they were the problem, but has not solve the problem. I know I need an alignment. I was told maybe I need a new tie rod. But I don't know.

Is there another problem that would cause the vibration in the truck?

I just went to a mechanic and he said I have bad CV joints. Would this cause vibration while driving? I don't notice any clicking noise when I am turning a corner.

Ramblin Fever
10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
May have missed it if you stated it, but have your wheel bearings been repacked?

ogfooman
10-22-2005, 11:30 AM
If the vibration stayed the same (same speed, frequency, occurances) after you switched tires, it's probably something with the front suspension or as mentioned, the driveshaft. Look for a little weight tacked on the outside of the driveshaft, or a clean spot where one might have been.

If you describe in detail the speeds and instances you feel the vibration, if it's proportional to speed increase, and the vibration itself, it will help us give a better answer.

Ramblin Fever
10-22-2005, 04:34 PM
You know, the oddest thing that my truck has is a vibration between 40-45, it's ALWAYS been there.

Did have a bad carrier bearing, replaced at 30k miles - however, this other vibration has been there since the truck was brand-new. Now have 146k, still there, tires don't matter - nothing wrong with the shafts.

I've just lived with it, it is annoying sometimes, so I either do 40 or 50 in a 45 mph zone.

Add your comment to this topic!