All over the road steering problem

ajs42
10-20-2005, 02:14 AM
I bought a 87 1500 and the steering is very loose and my truck is literally all over the road/peoples lawns. The people that owned the truck before me put in a 4" lift and I was looking online and came across what sounds like my problem but I am not sure. "As the vehicle is lifted, the distance and angle between the link's two attaching points is increased. This increased angle can initiate the tendency for the vehicle to drift and wander somewhat, especially on an off-camber, grooved, or well-worn driving surface. Excessive angle can also reduce turning radius, misalign steering wheel center, and in extreme cases cause link end failure due to pivot stud over-extension." Now that sounds like what it may be but Im not sure and I dont want to spend the money on it if its not the problem. Any suggestions?
Thx Andrew

maxwedge
10-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Check for play in the steering box first, very common, then on to all the steering linkage second.

broughy84
10-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Check all tie rods and ends, ball joints, inner tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm for play, If it is sloppy replace it, and yes steering boxes are notorious for going out on these trucks.

ajs42
10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Alright thanx, I plan on doing this sunday with my buddy, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thx again

ajs42
10-23-2005, 05:34 PM
so me n my buddy finally got around to lookin at my truck today. Turns out that the frame is cracked in a few places. They are small cracks but they were enough to take the steering box very loose. Lots of fun there... later

tRustyK5
10-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I've yet to see a Saginaw box be the cause of sloppy steering on the 73-97 K trucks. Cracked frames, loose box mounting bolts, bad TRE's and DLE's are 100 times more common to be the problem.

Many off road shops sell the weld on frame repair kit, which i highly recomend. After that is fixed I'd look into a bolt in steering box brace. Those really help triangulate the frame at the steering box and firm things up a ton.

I'd make sure every other part of the steering system is repaired and up to snuff before messing with the box adjustment. Most likely you won't need to touch the box adjustment at all.

With a 4" lift the front end should have a raised steering arm which would get the drag link back to the correct angle.

My Jimmy runs down the road straight as an arrow, on 40" tall bias ply tires. I did the frame repair and the bolt on brace too.

Rene

Add your comment to this topic!