Tune UP Yukon

vali31
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
I would like to save some money and I would like to know how to Tune-up my Yukon by myself. Can someone show me or send me a tutorial. Thank You

GMMerlin
10-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Replace the plugs, PCV valve, cap, rotor and plug wires...
Don't forget the fuel filter.
The job is fairly basic, but you will need some specialized tools...plug socket, T15,T20 Torx drivers
Use quality parts..I highly recommend AC Delco

vali31
10-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Replace the plugs, PCV valve, cap, rotor and plug wires...
Don't forget the fuel filter.
The job is fairly basic, but you will need some specialized tools...plug socket, T15,T20 Torx drivers
Use quality parts..I highly recommend AC Delco

Do you have a online manual or something so I don't screw up my car?
I'm sorry for sounding like a complete idiot........just trying to save money......thank you for ur reponse.

94 Jimmy
10-24-2005, 01:23 AM
It's all doable, but first things first.
What year is your truck and what engine do you have?
Find a good parts house, and go in and introduce yourself. If they look at you like you have two heads, go somewhere else. I like CarQuest that's where the shops around town get their parts.
Get the Haynes manual for you vehicle, I have the $150 GM shop manual and the $20 Haynes and I find the Haynes better in many ways.
If you're not sure of your capabilities, or don't have the tools or want to get dirty, but still want to save some money, buy the parts yourself and pay to have them put in. Most mechanics will get the parts from places like CarQuest who delivers for free, double or triple the cost then charge you to put them in.
Don't forget the Oxygen Sensors, on newer vehicles with V8's there are often 4 of them, two in front of the catalytic converter and two after. You only need to replace the one's in front. These sensors tell the computer about the condition of the exhaust and how to control the fuel injectors. These sensors should be replaced about every 50,000 miles. to make sure you pass smog.
Well, enough for this time, check out your tools, find a parts house, and get the manual and read over the tune-up section. Then we can talk somemore.
Good luck, have fun

JDCaduceus
10-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I have a 2003 yukon slt. I was trying to find the Haynes book for my year and it is not available from what I can tell. Can you post where to find the Haynes book for a 2003 GMC Yukon? Or can I just buy the 2002 Haynes Yukon XL book (I did not see a 2002 yukon Haynes).

Please let me know.
thanks for your help.

94 Jimmy
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Ya, you might be right, but there probably isn't much difference between the 2002 and 2003 years, at least for tune-up procedures. In any case for $15-20 how can go wrong for reference material. The manual you probably want is:
Haynes # 24066 - Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra Pick-ups, 1999 thru 2002, Chevrolet Suburban & Tahoe 2000 thru 2002, GMC Yukon & Yukon XL 2000 thru 2002.
At least until a newer one comes along.
Amazon has it under "Chevrolet and Gmc Pick-Ups Automotive Repair Manaul". A search on this will get you within a few selections. The book isn't just for Pick-ups, as you can see it covers Suburban, Tahoe and Yukon also.
When you get the book, and have a chance to look it over get back to us and we'll take it from there.
By the way, how is(are) your trucks running? These days tune-ups are good for 100,000 miles, and unless you have some symptoms I wouldn't mess with a "just in case" tune-up.
Hear from you soon

JDCaduceus
10-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks Jimmy. I was told that my 2003 GMC Yukon was equipped with platinum plugs that are good for 100K miles. I was still trying to make sure that I keep my truck up to snuff with preventive maintenance (aside from the normal oil changes). Any suggestions? Fuel filter (I already have a K&N air filter)?

I will order the Haynes manual. In the old days, I had a car that continually broke down (granted it was old and I did not take care of it like I should). I am just trying to make sure I have no problems with my yukon (I hate 400$ mechanic bills).

I also would like some info on increasing power and MPG. Just wanted thoughts from the experts out here.

thanks in advance.
Conrad

94 Jimmy
10-29-2005, 03:42 AM
I wouldn't bother with a full tune-up. As you said the plugs are good for 100,000 miles, and they are. Wait to 100K or when you have a problem and then change the plugs and wires.
You can check that the intake system is clean, The Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor is there and sometimes gets bugs in it. It's an aluminum honeycom thing in the intake plumbing, check to see if it's clean. Be careful its delicate and expensive. K&N filters will clog up and still pass light through, clean and lightly oil with every oil change no matter what they look like. A dirty air filter will ruin your gas mileage, so will bad O2 sensors. If you are getting any rotton egg or burned hair smells out of the exhaust it's a sure sign that your running rich, and the oxygen sensors are usually the culprit.
You can't increase both power and milage. Gasoline is power and to get one you use the other. If you want better mileage, slow down, it'll have more effect and cost less than anything else you can do. I've been told that for every 5 mph above 55mph you lose 10% of your mileage. On a recent 50 mile trip in my Olds Silhouette at 60mph I got 30mpg, I spead up to 65 and sure enough the mileage computer droped to 26-28.
If you want power, put a Wipple Supercharger on it, it'll pass anything but a gas station.
See ya

Add your comment to this topic!