Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A Modena competitor from Aston

carman
07-31-2001, 11:20 AM
I've read some rumours, but nothing more than that, of AM intending to have a car ready by 2003 to take sales from the Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari Modena etc. Does anyone know more about it?
It doesn't seem that strange too me since they've stopped building the DB7 (only build the DB7 Vantage) and a new(smaller) car will probably be coming up. and the DB7 Vantage is hardly a real competitor for the super sportscars that the Porsche, BMW Z8 and Ferrari are, more of a luxury GT.

Or is it going to be the new Vanquish I saw in the September Automobile mag?

HeadZ06
08-08-2001, 04:53 PM
Aston Martin IS preparing a new entry-level Aston in tandem with the Jaguar f-type. The engine should be a 4.2L V8 took from Jag. It should cost aroud 100k $ Not so bad for an AM

Chris
09-28-2001, 08:23 PM
But twice as much as the Jaguar. Just like the DB7 is just a jag XK8, but only slightly better.

AstonMartin
07-23-2002, 09:30 AM
Go home you idiot!

"Only slightly better then an XK8"?

I'm not even going to educate you!

You must be American!

AstonMartin
07-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Canadian! well must admit I expected better from you!

Never mind it must be because one lives next to the Dumb americans!

Aston Martin Man!

Chris
07-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Well, for one thing, I sayed DB7, not DB7 Vantage. So I referred to the Aston with a Supercharged inline 6 with 335hp. I hardly call this a $70000 improvement over the 290hp V8 in the Jag. Styling is subjective, but I prefer the Aston. Aston Martin does have some better parts, like magnesium wheels. I also expect the leather and wood is better, but at these prices, it is marginally better. In essense, we have the law of diminishing returns, you have to spend more and more, but you get less and less for your money. (ie, a $50000 Corvette Z06 is much much better than a $20000 Miata. But the same massive difference in the 'goodness' of the cars is not present in the $50000 DIFFERENCE between the Lamborghini Murcielago and Ferrari 550 Maranello. )

AstonMartin
08-01-2002, 05:46 AM
I really cannot believe you are saying that a Jag (no matter how could it is, and they are!) can be matched against an ASTON MARTIN! Forget the price, one does not purchase an Aston Martin if one wishes to compare affordability! Obviously it will lose out in that department! I think any super car would. Its the desirability your paying for! And like only a few other manufacturers, the Aston Martin has the utmost desirability that Jaguar has never, nor would ever have! (I drive a Jaguar S type and love it and the make, but I'm not blind to the fact)

Aston Martin will always be chosen over the Jag that goes without saying! It is worth the extra cost simply because it is what it is, an Aston Martin, it can demand the price tag and that’s why people pay that!

Aston Martin Man

Chris
08-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by AstonMartin
one does not purchase an Aston Martin if one wishes to compare affordability! Obviously it will lose out in that department! I think any super car would. Its the desirability your paying for! And like only a few other manufacturers, the Aston Martin has the utmost desirability that Jaguar has never, nor would ever have!

This is a fact. But saying "It is worth the extra cost " is not a fact. This is subjective. To a billionaire, this is true. But to a guy who makes 250 grand, this may not be true.

jsb88
11-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Ib looked at the DB7 and the XK8, and I liked both, but the problem was that the DB7 is not practical, and when I have a Lotus, it deosn't matter!

Add your comment to this topic!