Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clear Hoods

colinlesser
10-19-2005, 12:40 PM
i was wondering if anyone makes clear hoods and if not im going to make one from plexi glass cause aparently when you apply direct heat from a torch it goes soft and can be formed would anyone want one?

faroutguy
10-19-2005, 12:55 PM
that would actually be cool, provided you kept your engine clean and had mods on it, noone would want to see a shitty looking dirty engine, sounds more like a show car hood to me

colinlesser
10-19-2005, 01:07 PM
it would be mostly for show but i was also thinking it may be a fairly lightweight alternative, but one problem would be the mounting so i got to figure that out too

Project_Cav
10-19-2005, 01:46 PM
RSM makes a carbon fiber hood that weights 16 pounds...if you want a light weight hood...give that a try

PsychoJJ
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
RSM makes a carbon fiber hood that weights 16 pounds...if you want a light weight hood...give that a try

16 pounds? That is doo doo butter. My VIS c/f hood is around 9 pounds.

Thor06
10-19-2005, 09:02 PM
That is doo doo butter.
:rofl: Sorry but I dont think it is very practical on a daily driver. It would be pretty cool to see on a car at a show, but to have one on a daily driver would take more cleaning of the engine bay and hood itself than its worth. I wouldnt make you own if you cant find one, yeah it'll probably soften, but it would also probably discolor and/or bubble, getting it to fit right wouldnt exactly be easy, and I'm not sure how it would hold up under extreme cold/hot days. I think you should get a cf hood.

chevyguy93
10-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Yea. umm. plexi isnt all that good of an idea. Put it this way. Its a nice hot summers day, you decide to go for a little cruise, engines temp raises, and your hood, well, its collapsed. ohmy!! haha.. Plexi is very bendy in heat, especially if your parked in the sun. It also yellow's in the weather. Not to mention the shrinking/expanding it will do in the extreme temperatures.

4dr92cavi4cyl
10-21-2005, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't want melted plexi all over my engine and parts under the hood.

16 pounds? That is doo doo butter. My VIS c/f hood is around 9 pounds.

Why is the VIS hood lighter than the RSM hood? Is it something to do with wet/dry CF, and/or price?

PsychoJJ
10-21-2005, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't want melted plexi all over my engine and parts under the hood.

Why is the VIS hood lighter than the RSM hood? Is it something to do with wet/dry CF, and/or price?

If you ask me, for the money you cant beat a VIS hood. The quality alone is worth the price tag. Either that or I got lucky with mine. To date I have no fading cracking or scaring on the hood and it takes flying rocks like a champ. As for the lightness I forgot what its made out of but the under hood bracing is made of a damn light material. I think its graphite but I may be wrong.

Also as for the topic above, a select few people do in fact make clear hoods. Sometimes if you are lucky and check in alot you can find a few on ebay.

Arwan Reaper
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
there is a site that does make clear hoods but it will cost you around 800.00-1,200.00 to get one most likely so hope you have money. as for the other problems people have put forth. plexi glass isn't a smart way to go however I must say this. as for the dirty part of the problem if you have no leaks in your engine then shouldn't be a problem keeping it clean. however I know that there are people who think they are racers and yet they have leaks so i guess I can't really say they are wrong but as for me, my engine area is clean and I have no problem keeping the chrome parts chrome. if you go with a clear hood just make sure all your caps are on tight and that all your seals are in good shape, and that you have no leaks. easy way to do this is to clean the engine area and then drive for 30 days to see if it gets dirty again. if not then you are good to go for a while.

also this website also offers colored hoods not just clear. so here is the link enjoy shopping if I find more I will post them as well. also if you are looking for a turbo search apexi and then go to the original supplier IHI to get one they have a damn good ball bearing turbo there for around 1,500.00

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006533/p-2006533/N-111+10201+600002529/c-10101/VT-%7Bifsearch:sch%7D%7Bifcontent:cnt%7D

Classicrocjunkie
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
why the hell are you digging up posts from 2005? Those guys don't even post on here anymore.

JStumpalump150
05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
i think people find them in google searches and dont look at the dates on the forum cuz its always the guys that have like 2 posts that bring up dead threads

Add your comment to this topic!