Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Start of a problem with Transmission, Transfer Case or Rear end

aacooley
10-19-2005, 09:16 AM
My in-laws have 02 TB with 95,000 miles. With the warranty about to expire they are worried about a sound that has been occuring in the following situation:

The sound happens when the vechicle is decelerating to come to a stop (like a red light), but when the light changes and before coming to a complete stop they accelerate.

They have taken it to a dealership and of course they give them the "there is nothing we can do until it is replicated" story. My best guess is that is one of the above issues and after reading the horrors of transmissions going out 40,000 I am leaning towards that.

Any advice or similar problems would be a great help.

Thanks.

ScarabEpic22
10-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Does it sound like a big "clunk!!"? If so, I have the same problem. Dont know how to fix it, except maybe disconnecting the battery for 35 (yes, 35min) to reset the settings and then drive it a little harder than usual for the first 50-100mi after the reset. I have disconnected my battery so much that the little problems I used to have have just disappeared. Dont know if that is good or bad yet, but 57k and still goin' strong!

aacooley
10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the help. I will tell them to give that a try.

Any other's with the same issue.

Does it sound like a big "clunk!!"? If so, I have the same problem. Dont know how to fix it, except maybe disconnecting the battery for 35 (yes, 35min) to reset the settings and then drive it a little harder than usual for the first 50-100mi after the reset. I have disconnected my battery so much that the little problems I used to have have just disappeared. Dont know if that is good or bad yet, but 57k and still goin' strong!

maxwedge
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
If this clunk is as the trans downshifts 2-3, or up shifts 2-3 as you describe, 4wd GM trucks have been doing this for years and there is no fix, it is caused by a "tolerance stack" in the transmission and transfer case. There have been tsb's on this issue over the years, also.

aacooley
10-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the further info. I will search the other threads. I know my jeep wrangler's, but I am pretty clueless on the gm 4wd, so I appreciate the background. Any clue on if this is fatal for either part or is it just annoyance?

If this clunk is as the trans downshifts 2-3, or up shifts 2-3 as you describe, 4wd GM trucks have been doing this for years and there is no fix, it is caused by a "tolerance stack" in the transmission and transfer case. There have been tsb's on this issue over the years, also.

Add your comment to this topic!