Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

options on transporting a classic

Akira13126
10-19-2005, 03:29 AM
i'm currently looking into buying a 1963 Lincoln Contanatail. The car weighs over two tons. I was wondering how to pick it up. The car is up in my home town of Oswego, Ny. I currently live down in Blairsville PA while going to WyoTech Automotive College. The drive is about 8-10 and around 400-450 miles. I own a Geo Prizm and none of my family owns a truck. I have two options: Drive it down here and have someone else drive my Geo back. Or have it trailered down. I looked at the U-Haul car trailers and they say they only can haul 3500 lbs. Any surjustions on how I can get the car down here.

Christopher

Here's the car:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/289136my-car11.jpg

curtis73
10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Let me look for a number and I'll PM you later. I know a guy in Western PA who did some transporting for me. Really reasonable prices.

'97ventureowner
10-20-2005, 11:11 PM
The guy that transported for Curtis might end up being your best bet. I'm in Syracuse, NY not that far from your hometown of Oswego. I had the same problem last December. I bought a 1990 Buick Lesabre off of eBay for $69, and the car was in Conneticut. I spend the better part of 2 days phoning various places that either rented trailers or transported vehicles. The trucking firm that eBay reccomends didn't even want to quote me a price because it was under 1000 miles. Most of the quotes from transport companies were in the range from $400 to $850.( I can only imagine the quotes today with the increase in the price of fuel!) I also own a 1994 1/2 ton chevy pickup, so I called various rental companies to get a quote.U Haul ended up being the cheapest at $49.95. I ended up having to install a Class 3 hitch on the truck to be able to use their trailer. I ended up towing the trailer empty to CT because there was none available at my destination. But we made the trip without incident. UHAul tells you 3500 lbs to protect themselves. The car I towed was around 3200 pounds. I have seen heavier vehicles being towed with these trailers, but I wouldn't reccomend it if you lack the experience of towing a trailer. Hopefully the guy Curtis reccomends will work out for you. That sounds like your best bet. Good luck with your new (old)Lincoln!

Akira13126
10-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Well good news is I got the 1963 Lincoln for $300. I don't have a truck or any of my friends down here at the college does either. I was wondering on how much it would cost me to rent a U-haul truck and trailer. I'd have to rent the truck and trailer while I'm down here because I wouldn't have anyone to drive my car back down. I also wonder how much this is gonna cost me in fuel to drive from Blairsville PA to Oswego NY. Wish me luck.

Indycarlover
11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Give U-Haul a call and ask for pricing...
Good luck/skill with the new ride!

Add your comment to this topic!