Runs Rough, Smell Gas, Low Gas Mileage

don1555
10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
I have several problems with my car. I have a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 158k miles, 3.1, 6 cyl.

1. I recently had the fuel pump changed because the car would not start. Now that the fuel filter is changed I smell gas inside the car whenever I drive.
2. I currently get only 15 miles to the gallon. Before I changed the fuel filter I was only getting 18 mpg.
3. This car runs really, really rough and occassionally it stalls when I am parking.

Any suggestions, especially for running rough and low gas mileage?

cadgear
10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
The second two sound like a converter that isn't locking properly. It sounds like its not wanting to lock, giving poor mileage, and then not unlocking when you go to park. The TCC solenoid and/or wiring would be a good idea to check.

As far as the gasoline smell, under the rear seats is where the grommet seal is supposed to let the fuel pump wires pass through the body to the tank. Might one of them been tugged a bit too hard and broken the seal? I'd check those two things; there's a load of info on the forums about sticky TCCs, and the wiring is a straightforward backseat removal.

don1555
10-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Much thanks Cadgear. I will do what you suggested and let you know how it went.

Add your comment to this topic!