Are all 4 O2 sensors the same?

Ramblin Fever
10-18-2005, 09:12 PM
on the 97 V6?

I found all 4, finally - does it take specific tools to remove/replace these sensors?

Do I need to disconnect the battery?

Cat Fuzz
10-18-2005, 09:30 PM
An easy way to find out is to call up a parts store and ask them to look them up. If they are different, they will be able to tell you.

They do make O2 sensor sockets, its a good idea to use one.

Yes, its usually a good idea to disconnect the battery when working with anything electrical.

Canucklehead
10-18-2005, 10:59 PM
on the 97 V6?
Yes.
I found all 4, finally - does it take specific tools to remove/replace these sensors?
22 mm wrench or O2 sensor (slotted) socket.
No.

:)

Ramblin Fever
10-18-2005, 11:53 PM
It's actually THAT simple??

Just pop the old one's out and put new one's in? WOW!

Nothing on this truck has ever been that easy.

Do I need to have the codes cleared - or will it clear automatically?

rodeo02
10-19-2005, 05:28 AM
All 4 oxygen sensors are the same p/n on your 1997 3.2L. You will need an oxygen sensor socket to r/r them and they will be in there VERY tight. You may even need heat and/or penetrating oil. You unplug the wire connector slip the slotted socket over them and r/r them much like a sparkplug. I bought the 3pc tool kit from oxygensensors.com It worked out real well. Why are you replacing all 4!!!! or any of them for that matter? What was the code? Don't waste your time & $$ changing out the sensors downstream of the cats!!!!!!! They don't do a thing but tell you if the cats work or not. The downstreamers dont manage air/fuel ratio at all. You should only replace an oxygen sensor on a 1996+ if you are getting a slow or no activity code from them, or a heater circuit malfuntion. Any other codes likely has nothing to do with the O2 sensor itself.

G/luck
Joel

Canucklehead
10-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Do I need to have the codes cleared - or will it clear automatically?
The code should clear automatically after a certain number of "cycles" or you can clear it by pulling the 15A ECM fuse, in the engine compartment fuse/relay box, for 30 seconds or so.

Ramblin Fever
10-19-2005, 10:49 AM
The guy didn't give me the code - mainly cause I forgot to right it down.

But he said something along the line of 1 of 2 & 2 of 2.

To be honest, that Check engine light came on 10 minutes before I had to pick up one of the kids from school and I just happened to be right next to an Autozone.

I'm going back tonight to double check the code - but the guy said it was definitely an O2 sensor. And they've never been replaced, so it doesn't surprize me really.

To be honest, when I found out how cheap they were - for this particular year, anyway - and that they were so easily accessible, there's no reason not to do all 4 of them.

I ordered the Walker brand, and $190 for all 4 with overnight shipping - can't complain.

I'm sure I'll have more questions when they arrive - THANK
you greatly for your help.

rodeo02
10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
The guy didn't give me the code - mainly cause I forgot to right it down. ...

To be honest, when I found out how cheap they were - for this particular year, anyway - and that they were so easily accessible, there's no reason not to do all 4 of them....

Ramblin, I give up! :disappoin :banghead:

Oh well.. good luck with it!

Joel

Ramblin Fever
10-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Ramblin, I give up! :disappoin :banghead:

Oh well.. good luck with it!

Joel

Yeah, I know, I was complaining initially that I didn't have the money - but I also don't have the time for down time or vehicle doubt either. This is the only vehicle we have for daily commuting and we can't afford any days lost at work either.

Not only that we were calculating just how much MORE gas this truck has been using lately - and it's been quite a bit, so we speculated something was coming, just didn't know what.

If I made the wrong move, I'm sure the truck'll let me know. Otherwise, you can't really fault one if that's their only vehicle. :cwm27:

ing_erika
10-24-2005, 12:25 PM
on the 97 V6?

Hey, were did you found the 4 sensors, I haven't found them yet ! I need to change only one, (1,1) I read on another post that is on the passengers side.

Egm
:iceslolan

Canucklehead
10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey, were did you found the 4 sensors, I haven't found them yet ! I need to change only one, (1,1) I read on another post that is on the passengers side.

Egm
Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located on the passenger's side between the exhaust manifold and the passenger's side catalytic converter (if you have an auto) if you have a 5 spd it is between the exhaust manifold that the flex pipe.

ing_erika
10-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located on the passenger's side between the exhaust manifold and the passenger's side catalytic converter (if you have an auto) if you have a 5 spd it is between the exhaust manifold that the flex pipe.

Ok, I just found them, but one last question, which sensor is the one making the truck waste a lot of gas ? is it before or after the catalityc converter ????

Egm

Canucklehead
10-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Ok, I just found them, but one last question, which sensor is the one making the truck waste a lot of gas ? is it before or after the catalityc converter ????

Egm
Before.

The After-Cat sensors monitor Catalytic converter efficiency.

ing_erika
10-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Before.

The After-Cat sensors monitor Catalytic converter efficiency.

I'm down the truck and I can see the catalytic converter, is has 3 sensors on a side and one sensor in the other side, the before-cat sensor is the one alone right ??? the 3 left are after-cat ... ?

Egm.

ing_erika
10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm down the truck and I can see the catalytic converter, is has 3 sensors on a side and one sensor in the other side, the before-cat sensor is the one alone right ??? the 3 left are after-cat ... ?

Egm.

I figure it out now ! ! ! stdr has only 3 sensors, I know which one has to be changed now ! thanks a lot for your helpppp. ! !

Egm

Canucklehead
10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I figure it out now ! ! ! stdr has only 3 sensors, I know which one has to be changed now ! thanks a lot for your helpppp. ! !

Egm

Manual tranny still has 4 sensors. There is one one each exhaust leg before the "Y", one before the cat (after the "Y") and one after the cat.

php
10-28-2005, 02:38 PM
The O2 sensors may come out easier if you can loosen them up while the exhaust is hot and then finish the job after the exhaust has cooled down.

Add your comment to this topic!