Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Throttle Body leak/Sea foam

Alibi
10-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Hello. I removed my throttle body today trying to get at the IAC valve to take it off and clean it. After I got it off (i left the cables on) i noticed a huge amount of carbon build-up on the throttle plate...so i used my 3/4 can of carb cleaner to clean up the TB and I replaced it.

It took a couple cranks, but when the engine started it seems to be running a lot better now and is not hesitating during Idle like it has been. However, it seems to be leaking a fluid from a lower hose on the throttle body, or possibly from the bottom of the TB gasket. What fluid would this be? I would think it would be excess carb cleaner but the flow of the fluid was constant.

Are the two smaller, lower tubes for engine coolant? It is the only fluid that I can think of that would leak. I plan on replacing the hoses on Thursday when i get my paycheck (school only pays monthly :( ).

If it is just coolant, would it be OK to run the car a couple of miles to my closest Autozone to get some new hoses?

As for the carbon build-up, I've been told that a can of SeaFoam would help to burn it off. Would it help to get the carbon out of the plenum and hoses running to it?

Thanks in advance
-Eric

Alibi
10-19-2005, 07:19 PM
I found out that the fluid was in fact coolant. I removed the throttle body today and discovered one of the old rubber hoses had a small crack so I get to replace my hoses, clamps, and gaskets tomorrow when i get my paycheck.

And I suppose I'll get some Seafoam. Does anyone know of a better way to clear carbon build-up in an engine?

Add your comment to this topic!