Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

good car to drift??

fiat850spyder
10-18-2005, 07:43 PM
yea i kno this question prob has been answered but o wel.....
i would like to know a good car i can purchase(a cheap one) for drifting i dont want to spend a lot of money on the car maybe like 500 to 600 bucks (like i said a cheap shit) and i was wanting wat car would be good to get for that price...but at teh same time i want the car to have a cheap insurance...no 240's or 300's or skylines or any of that stuff..im leaning toward like toyota corolla(old ones)....i wuld like to kno if there are any otha cars i shuld kno....(i too was thinkin of a volvo 240)

o yea and its gotta be a car that i can purchase in america
thanks a lot if you help i appreciate it

gigglesnirt
10-19-2005, 01:03 AM
corollas you will not be able to get ahold of running for that price, unless you are very, very lucky, i just bought my 1st gen rx7 for 500$, runs great, came with springs, struts, and exhaust system, but for now i have to use it in the rain or in dirt, soemthing near there is your best bet, but its hard with that price.

drftk1d
10-19-2005, 01:32 AM
NOOOOOOO why woudl you drive a 1st gen in rain and dirt???? care for them.

fiatspyder, dont be a cheapass, save some more and buy a 240, they are stupid easy to drift in
you can even buy mine

gigglesnirt
10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
all i had was 1000$, the rest is going towards stuff for the car, not everyone is able to save, now that i tinhk about it though it is coming to the winter season you dont need a car till spring you could save through the winter with some job and buy a nice car in the spring, possibly 240, 2nd gen rx7, even a corolla if you dont mind the overinflated prices for not enough power...

drftk1d
10-20-2005, 01:26 AM
get a mk2 celica supra

Layla's Keeper
10-21-2005, 01:13 PM
NOOOOOOO why woudl you drive a 1st gen in rain and dirt???? care for them.

http://www.rally.no/dag/DagRX7trlag95_445x292.jpg
http://www.tombstoneralling.com/gallery/ralling/images/march03/main/rx7.jpg

The stout solid rear axle, Watts linkage and coil spring setup makes the 1st gen RX7 practically indestructable. It's been a 2wd rally ace all of its life, including tons of stout runs in the Safari, Acropolis, and Wales rallies.

Care for 'em my ass. 1st gen's thrive on track. That's why there's more Mazdas in amateur road racing competition than any other brand.

gigglesnirt
10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
XD i was thinking about taking mine into some rallycross events next season, this has just about made it for sure now, i just gotta use the winter to ready it up!

fiat850spyder
10-21-2005, 05:45 PM
what about a volvo 240 do you think those would be good for drifting

2of9
10-22-2005, 12:38 AM
old cars=bad,used, suspension...? dunno, a old school car (drifter car) around 2000 will cost $3000 maintenence

gigglesnirt
10-22-2005, 01:38 AM
old cars=bad,used, suspension...? dunno, a old school car (drifter car) around 2000 will cost $3000 maintenence

not quite, i mean my car was $500, thats with the springs and struts uninstalled so i just put them in, knowing they're knew, plus parts for this old 1st gen are amazingly cheap, plus salvaging parts off of other cars also works, there have been people doing miata rear ends onto the 1st gens and they apparently work out pretty well, that plus with this car you have options like streetporting or bridgeporting, or even getting a 2nd gen motor in it, turbocharged or not its a lot. think about this, the car is very light, 2500lbs stock, with a little work maybe lighter, if you get up to 200hp your going to have a hell of a power to weight ratio, and it wont be that hard to get there either.

fiat850spyder
10-22-2005, 01:50 PM
so u think a volvo 240 would be good? i mean like i wanna drift but im not like the hardcore drifter that will spend all his money on the car i just want a little fun car....so do u think the volvo 240 would be good cuz its rear wheel right?

drftk1d
10-22-2005, 02:22 PM
http://www.rally.no/dag/DagRX7trlag95_445x292.jpg
http://www.tombstoneralling.com/gallery/ralling/images/march03/main/rx7.jpg

The stout solid rear axle, Watts linkage and coil spring setup makes the 1st gen RX7 practically indestructable. It's been a 2wd rally ace all of its life, including tons of stout runs in the Safari, Acropolis, and Wales rallies.

Care for 'em my ass. 1st gen's thrive on track. That's why there's more Mazdas in amateur road racing competition than any other brand.

time to break some MGs...

jk.

gigglesnirt
10-22-2005, 03:39 PM
you sound like you already own this volvo with how much your talking about it, so just go try it out at the track, it is possible and i've seen (not in the us but a lot of europe) many pictures of old volvos getting at it.
http://www.home.no/bludnik/images/240%20drift.jpg
http://www.sportbilen.se/bilder/bilder/240brett175_3.jpg

fiat850spyder
10-22-2005, 04:26 PM
ok see this is how it is my dad owns a 86 volvo 240dl and he taped the car into somethin and broke the headlight and now i see these cars for sale near by me and they too are volvos but they are for only 300-400 dollars and i was wonderin if it would be any good to get the volvo to drift?? and if it was i would take some of the good parts off of it and replace it with the good volvo(one my dad has) but i really wanted to get an input on stuff about volvos and drifting i just wanted to kno if i shuld get it and use it or not to

fiat850spyder
10-22-2005, 04:27 PM
o yea also i would thikn it would be a good buy bc it fits the descripton of wat i wanted it is cheap car..and is cheap on insurance..but once again i just dunno if it handles to good

gigglesnirt
10-23-2005, 07:42 AM
i would go for it, i mean if it didn't work out you could always use it for something else and later on get a better car.

drftk1d
10-23-2005, 09:13 PM
thats true too, but what if the car ends up being hard to drift? you end up with a high learning curve

RaidenKing
10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
You sound young. This will be your first car? How many miles are on that volvo and how solid is the suspension? Believe me, suspension can make you or break you. I got my 240 and tried to drift on shot suspension that had been on there for 120,000 miles and everytime I'd go in to execute, the car would just lean instead of drift.

I don't suppose the volvo will be too terrible to drift but I would suggest instead of kind of taking a shot in the dark by asking our opinions, that you do some more research on drifting, look up cars used and capable for drifting, find which modifications are most necessary and so on.

It is only as far as google.com

gigglesnirt
10-31-2005, 05:17 PM
thats true too, but what if the car ends up being hard to drift? you end up with a high learning curve
well with how many i've been seeing it cant be that bad, plus if he tries on a harder car later on when he wants to switch over to somthing else it'll be a piece of cake.

drftk1d
11-02-2005, 10:57 PM
debatable.

RACER D12
11-03-2005, 10:52 AM
If YOU like it then mod it. Simple.

Oh and spell check is your friend.

Add your comment to this topic!