Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hood won't open

foon
10-18-2005, 03:52 PM
hello
i dirive a 2000 bravada and my hood won't pop open when i pull the hood releae switch, nay ideas how i can open the hood? thanks

SBlazerNCS
10-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Does the release feel the same as it did before or is it loose now, like its not tripping the latch?

ZL1power69
10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
i have a similar problem. the latch will pop the hood at one time. the next time i go to pop it, the handle is loose and the hood will not pop unless i shut the door, then it pops up.

SBlazerNCS
10-18-2005, 07:02 PM
I have had the same problem in the past. If you've pulled the latch and the hood doesnt pop up, it may be due to the spring bumpers being out of adjustment. They are on either side of the grille, they look like springs with rubber stops on top. You can spin them one way or the other and raise them. In order to get the hood up in the first place after you've pulled the latch, just pull up on the hood, it may open up so that you can get your fingers on the "finger latch" under the hood.

Gabe25
10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
You can try this . After you pull the release lever. Go around to the front of the hood and bang your hood with your fist right in front above the hood latch in the center once. My blazer use to do that also. After you open it. Put some white grease on the latch, spring, and the recieving unit. That should take care of the trouble.
If you can't open the hood. You mite have a broken cable. If that the case. Use a long screw driver and from the front grill. Slide it through and see if you can push the release lever. I aslo had to do that to my other Blazer.

ZL1power69
10-18-2005, 08:49 PM
mine sometimes when u pull the release handle, the hood does not move at all. i tried hiting it in the center and nothing. I try pulling up on it and that works sometimes. most of the time i have to go slam the door to jar it loose. o and the rubber stops under the hood are fine as the hood gaps are even.

foon
10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
thanks for all the replies guys, i got the hood open today but not excactly at a good time. I went over a bump on the highway and the hood pooped, good thing it didn't open. haha
i took a look, it could be the cable, but i can't open it again to fix it haha
guess i have to go find a bumpy road

SBlazerNCS
10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
mine sometimes when u pull the release handle, the hood does not move at all. i tried hiting it in the center and nothing. I try pulling up on it and that works sometimes. most of the time i have to go slam the door to jar it loose. o and the rubber stops under the hood are fine as the hood gaps are even.

I dunno, it kinda sounds like maybe you just need some lube in there...maybe those springs wear out after time? I believe i adjusted my stops to be a little high...i think the gaps just a tiny bit off now, but my hood pops.

blazee
10-19-2005, 07:21 AM
You can try this . After you pull the release lever. Go around to the front of the hood and bang your hood with your fist right in front above the hood latch in the center once. My blazer use to do that also. After you open it. Put some white grease on the latch, spring, and the recieving unit. That should take care of the trouble.
If you can't open the hood. You mite have a broken cable. If that the case. Use a long screw driver and from the front grill. Slide it through and see if you can push the release lever. I aslo had to do that to my other Blazer.
This post basically sums it all up, but I just want to add that I've had more luck bumping them on the front edge toward the side of the hood. Just about right above the driver's side headlight, seems to be the sweet spot.

the87hyper
10-19-2005, 12:19 PM
This post basically sums it all up, but I just want to add that I've had more luck bumping them on the front edge toward the side of the hood. Just about right above the driver's side headlight, seems to be the sweet spot.

I have the same problem. If i take the palm of my hand and "ram" the very front of the hood in the center between the headlamps it pops up no problem. Only after i pull the hood release. Sometimes i have to go back and pull the release again, and then go ram it, but i can usually get it on the first or second try. I wonder if there is an adjustment on the hood latch assy.

xjcamaro89
10-19-2005, 12:25 PM
I also use the the "bump with your fist" method, and every now and then the "shut the driver door" method works by itself sometimes.

blazee
10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I have the same problem. If i take the palm of my hand and "ram" the very front of the hood in the center between the headlamps it pops up no problem. Only after i pull the hood release. Sometimes i have to go back and pull the release again, and then go ram it, but i can usually get it on the first or second try. I wonder if there is an adjustment on the hood latch assy.
Every time that I've seen this problem, a little oil on the latch usually fixes it.

Add your comment to this topic!