Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

E46 Cruise control: a bit sloppy?

tedmacwpg
10-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a 2005 325xi with about 10,000 miles on it. I realize I'm now spoiled for life with this car, and when people ask me about it, I describe it as mechanical & engineering genius. I'm looking for some feedback before bringing something up with the dealer:

My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that the cruise control is a bit sloppy with it's tolerances. When climbing moderate hills it will allow the speed to drop by up to 8kph/5mph, and then when it tries to correct, it overshoots the target speed by about the same margin before then dropping back to the target speed. This is especially true if you reach the crest of the hill just as the car is initiating a recovery to the set speed.

Irritating at worst on the climb portion, but potentially ticket-inducing during the recovery if you're already pushing the margin for getting a ticket and then happened to meet a cop going the other way after cresting the hill and still above the target speed.

Is this normal for the E46, or do I have some kind of problem? The Audis I drove before this held the speed within 1 or 2 mph regardless of the hill type.

91HO305TPI
10-23-2005, 10:24 AM
you may want to bring that up at your next service do you live in a very hilly section of the country? i wokr on these cars and have never encountered that problem before but i live in a very flat area.

jcz1987
10-24-2005, 01:50 PM
I have had used my cruise control only a few times on my 330i but when It was climbing hils, it didnt really loose that much speed by about 2-3 mph. Still works ok for me but I drive without the cruise control.

Add your comment to this topic!