Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Post question

avelanchefan
10-18-2005, 04:39 AM
I have a 2000 Rodeo, and over the last 7 days I noticed a decrease in battery power to the point where it would no longer start the truck.

So off to get a new battery. I got one (of coarse) and as I was installing it, the battery post for the positive side snapped as I was tightening it down. Naturally I crapped my drawers. But here is my issue, there are two wires going to the post, one form the alternator, and the other from the fuse box? It looks like it is hooked up seperatly to the positive battery post. But then as I was searching for a battery post I did not see one that was like the one on my Rodeo.

SO, can I just get a normal battery post, and somehow try to keep the two sets of wires seperate from each other?

Or now that I am thinking about it, is that seperate wire from my satellite radio? hmmm now I am all confused. On stock Rodeos is there only one wire heading to the battery (from the alternator)?

Any help is appreciated.

Cat Fuzz
10-18-2005, 08:13 AM
First off, you probably have a bad alternator and needed to replace that instead of the battery. Second, what exactly snapped off? The little bolt that clamps the battery terminal to the battery? If its the bolt, just replace that.

avelanchefan
10-18-2005, 08:38 AM
No...the clamp itself. The round part that actually goes around the terminal. It was soft I guess, and it just snapped in half.

I am pretty sure it's the battery also, because it was the original one.

megavolt121
10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
I have a 98 Rodeo with the same battery setup. I just recently replaced my termal clamps. I had a post that came w/ a big copper connecter that you solder to the wires. I just soldered both wires into the sucker and clamped it down good.

avelanchefan
10-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Mega,

Did you seperate both wires by any chance or where they somewhat "together"?

megavolt121
10-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I cut the ends off both wires and stripped them so it was new and unoxidized. I dont remember if they were in one piece before or not.

Cat Fuzz
10-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Mega,

Did you seperate both wires by any chance or where they somewhat "together"?

It doesn't matter if they both go to the + battery terminal.

Add your comment to this topic!