CD player wiring? K&N FIPK? and chip?

clemsonguy
10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Wow i just got my 1986 944 Turbo (951) and I love it! So far just making sure everything is reliable, which it has been. i drove it back from AZ no problems with the cruise on 90 the whole way. It needed new shocks so i went ahead and upgraded to the adj. Koni's. What a sweet ride that is. So much fun to drive. I do have a few questions though and since i have been reading the postings from my quite knowledgeable brethren on here i thought i would throw it out and see what help i could get:

1. The brackets on the back of my airbox that houses the air filter are cracked which opens up a slight gap which is not good cause it could allow unfiltered air to enter my intake. I want to just install a K&N FIPK unit here. I have seen pictures of cars with this online but i don't know what to order or exactly how to go about that. The motorsport shops here don't inspire much confidence with me either.

2. For Christmas she wants the Stage II PowerChip for 93 octane fuel. (which means about 260hp) however RELIABILITY is super important to me, should i let her have it? This includes putting a shim on the turbo i believe which gives it a little more kick, is that hard to do? Can i install that myself?

3. Does anyone know where i can find out or how i can find out which wire is for what with the Stereo? i want to install a new CD player and they don't have a harness.

Thanks again for time. Drive hard...don't get caught
Radge
radge_@hotmail.com

930guy
10-18-2005, 11:11 AM
You actually shim the wastegate not the turbo. It is easy but you may run into bolts that may not want to come out due to the many heat cycles and some rust. Take your time and soak them ahead of time and you should be OK. As far as chips search around, look into Guru chips they seem to be the best. Good luck.

Indycarlover
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
You actually shim the wastegate not the turbo. It is easy but you may run into bolts that may not want to come out due to the many heat cycles and some rust. Take your time and soak them ahead of time and you should be OK. As far as chips search around, look into Guru chips they seem to be the best. Good luck.
I have heard of the guru chips, why are they thought to be the best?
Thanks for a reply.

longlivetheZ
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
As for the FIPK:

Big rip off, for the most part. What...$120+ for a K&N filter (~$50, give or take) and a plastic piece of pipe? Not in my car. I can't remember the exact layout of the 944's intake, but you should be able to buy a universal K&N cone filter for it. Jeg's offers multiple sizes and shapes...take a couple measurements and get one that'll fit. Attach it in the place of the old air box and filter assembly. You're golden. It'll flow more air than an engine of that size will ever need.

I'm a Z guy (bet you never guessed...lol), so I'll give a couple Z pics for you to use as a reference...same idea should work for your car.

http://z31.com/images/kn.jpg

http://z31.com/images/richkn.jpg

930guy
01-19-2006, 10:55 PM
for the air filter that this Z guy is refering to you need an adapter. i just happen to have one hanging around doing nothing. If your interested contact me:
Karajean@Adelphia.net

longlivetheZ
01-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Again...I'm not sure of the specifics of your car, but for cars like mine, all you need for an "adapter" is a piece of pipe and that's only needed if you remove the resonator like the person above did. In my car, the filter will clamp right onto the resonator if you choose to leave it. Just keep it simple, man...nothing fancy is needed for something like this...

proud_924s_owner
01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
on the 924S, 944, and 951 you wont see much if any gains from a KnN, i know, i have one. the big restriction in the system is acctualy the stock air meter, its pathetic. dosent flow near enough. ask any 944 SPEC guy, dosent matter what kinda intake you put onto that meter, most your gonna see is 5 hp.... and thats just to the filter smothing out the air flow more then acctually increased flow, as im shure youve noticed, the stock filter is HUGE for this size of a motor. typical porsche over enginereing :rolleyes: so only real way to pick up power is with a good chip, more boost, or an aftermarket engine management system. cam isint really going to help much, boost gains are going to be limited, and nothing done to the exaust is really going to help either. or porting the head for that matter....

Add your comment to this topic!