Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I got FishEye!!!!!!!!! What now??

gabbadude
10-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey Guys,

I could cry! I just finished spraying the body with a clear coat over the metallic but now I have fish-eye. Do i have to strip the paint completely or can I just wet sand/polish it and add another layer??

Please help...

mike@af
10-17-2005, 05:52 PM
It depends how bad the fisheyes are. It could be the clear coat that had reaction with the base. In that case it would be best to repaint. If its just a improper prep than the clear coat can be wetsanded to remove the fish eyes.

What kind of paint were you using?

MPWR
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, we could be of alot more help with a bit more information, and a couple of pics....

Vric
10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
The Tamiya Paint Troubleshooting (http://www.scalewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tamiya_Paint_Troubleshooting) on ScaleWiki (http://www.scalewiki.com) talk about Fisheyes and solutions

gabbadude
10-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Ok, sorry for the lack of info.

I used Tamiya White Surface Primer and then Tamiya Acrylic for the base coat. Mixed coat with X-11 and X-10. (x-11/2 to x-10/1)

then I added a layer of TS-13 for the clear coat.

I washed the model with Dishwashing liquid just before the clear coat and rinsed and then let it dry in the sun for 30min. The fish eye is most prominant on the bonnet with only a few on the one door.

mickbench
10-18-2005, 03:05 AM

I used Tamiya White Surface Primer and then Tamiya Acrylic for the base coat. Mixed coat with X-11 and X-10. (x-11/2 to x-10/1)

I washed the model with Dishwashing liquid just before the clear coat and rinsed and then let it dry in the sun for 30min. The fish eye is most prominant on the bonnet with only a few on the one door.

Well, thats your problem. TS sprays do not go over Acrylic's very well. Surprised you only got a few fish eyes...!!

You should have used X22 Acrylic clear if your colour coat was mixed with Acrylic. The TS spray will melt the acrylic base coat as TS spray is very hot...!!

Not sure if you can save this, I'd dunk it in brake fuild and try again.. Perhaps someone else can advise better..

360spider
10-18-2005, 07:44 AM

Lacquer TS13 is a no-no over acrylic paint. X13 is hot enough to melt some of the other TS paints, I'm not even surprised.

MPWR
10-18-2005, 07:53 AM
That would be the problem. When you try it again, try overcoating with X22 instead. Sure it's not as hard as the laquer, but you can still get a blazing shine out of it.

Instead of brake fluid, try stripping in 99% isopropyl alcohol (if you're going to strip it). It works just as well, but isn't toxic waste when you're done with it.

Vric
10-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Look here (on the bottom of the page)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/2.htm

gabbadude
10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks Guys!! Ok, so this is my problem then. But then why is it only on the bonnet and nowhere else?

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks Guys!! Ok, so this is my problem then. But then why is it only on the bonnet and nowhere else?

Nobody knows for sure. It could be residue from the detergent you used to clean the body before clearcoating, some of them actually contain some silicone so if there's even a tiny bit of detergent residue it might cause a fisheye. I prefer cleaning with rubbing alcohol, it doesn't leave any residue that can cause fisheyes. But then again, rubbing alcohol isn't good for cleaning acrylics. I suspect you have a problem with dirt/silicone contamination in those areas and not a lacquer over acrylic problem if the paint isn't cracked or wrinkled otherwise.

gabbadude
10-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I think that sounds more reasonable. In other areas the Clear Coat is perfect. It's just mostly on the bonnet. I think it was silicon residue.

The rest is Perfect!!

robrex
10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
I think that sounds more reasonable. In other areas the Clear Coat is perfect. It's just mostly on the bonnet. I think it was silicon residue.

The rest is Perfect!!

It may be perfect at the moment but over time the paint will more than likely crack revealing lines throughout the paintjob. It happened to me once!

Add your comment to this topic!