Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trans Fluid Leaks After Replacing Radiator

brockroland
10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey out there. I've got a 3.1L 2000 'Bu.

OK, my A/C condenser & radiator had an inch sized gash in them and I replaced both. Everything seemed to go fine, but when I started the car afterward, I noticed trans fluid dripping out from the lower trans cooler line on the radiator. I have screwed the fitting in very tight and I didn't want to damage anything by over-tightening. I haven't measured the torque so I don't know exactly how tight though. So I'm wondering if anyone's ever replaced the radiator and knows how tight the fittings need to be. Did you really have to crank it to get a good seal? I don't see a gasket in the radiator, but there wasn't one in the old one that I can see. Maybe there was one in the fitting and it fell off... I really doubt it though, I was pretty thorough in the installation. Would teflon tape be ok to use to get a good seal? Anyway, any input will be appreciated.

gapboi210
10-17-2005, 11:30 PM
I just did a swap on a Malibu but I can't remember, but, there might be an O-ring, if not I would try teflon tape on the threads.

bcopeland
10-18-2005, 08:17 PM
I agree, but I think the nut should tighten flush. It is real hard to strip.

gapboi210
10-18-2005, 11:52 PM
I would try the teflon tape because it is harder to tear a piece off. If u use something like caulk or gasket sealer it will fall off or break off inside and possible block a line or get stick in the radiator. Might just call your dealership. They should be able to look at a diagram and see if there is an O-ring that goes on there. Your might be missing if you went with an aftermarket radiator.

brockroland
10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys.

I called the radiator place I bought the replacement from and asked if there was an o-ring. He said no and not to worry about stripping like bcopeland said. I just tightened her as hard as possible and it's all sealed up now. I appreciate your help. This forum rocks!

-B

Add your comment to this topic!