Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new here

krissybnx
10-17-2005, 12:36 AM
hi all. im new here and new to turbo buicks. i just got a t type and i love it. my previous car was a 1997 camaro ss, and it was NOTHING compared to this car. im shocked these cars are so unknown. i dont know much about them and have only had one for a few weeks now, so im sure i will have plenty of questions to ask.i think the car i bought is not stock, it looks different from some of the others i have seen.two questions i have already are as follows. 1. my brake system makes a constant buzzing sound when ever the ignition is on even if the motor is off. i researched a bit and found the brake system is the stock 87 powermaster unit.is this a problem? 2. i have an aftermarket boost guage in addition to the stock one, and both read 0 psi in neutral even when the gas pedal is pressed down. it makes 17 psi in first and second, and 20 psi in 3rd and 4th. why is no boost made in neutral?

gnfreak
10-20-2005, 01:15 AM
hi all. im new here and new to turbo buicks. i just got a t type and i love it. my previous car was a 1997 camaro ss, and it was NOTHING compared to this car. im shocked these cars are so unknown. i dont know much about them and have only had one for a few weeks now, so im sure i will have plenty of questions to ask.i think the car i bought is not stock, it looks different from some of the others i have seen.two questions i have already are as follows. 1. my brake system makes a constant buzzing sound when ever the ignition is on even if the motor is off. i researched a bit and found the brake system is the stock 87 powermaster unit.is this a problem? 2. i have an aftermarket boost guage in addition to the stock one, and both read 0 psi in neutral even when the gas pedal is pressed down. it makes 17 psi in first and second, and 20 psi in 3rd and 4th. why is no boost made in neutral?

congrats on getting a t-type. i'm assuming its a 87?? for lots of info on your car, surf over to www.turbobuicks.com, www.turbobuick.com, or www.t6p.com all these forums have a great wealth of info and lots of knowlegable people. do alot of searching on these boards and more often then not you will find the answer without asking anyone any questions. i changed out the powermaster in my old 87 we-4 (also called a turbo-t)when it started buzzing. i replaced it with a vacuum setup and it worked great. i still have the powermaster in my 86 Grand National (no buzzing---knock on wood). you wont get boost in neutral. the motor has to have load to build boost. 20 psi may be a bit high for a stock car unless you are running alcohol injection. if you dont already have one, a scan tool is the first thing to get. you really need to know what the car is doing or bad things can happen quick. good luck

krissybnx
11-06-2005, 10:45 PM
thanks for the links.the fuel pump has been upgrade, and the injectors are 42.5 lucus.the turbo is a turbonetics t4 stage 3. the intercooler has been upgraded, and iv been told with enough fuel (i heard 42.5 is good) and cool enough intake 20psi is ok is that false?
the brakes did go, i really have to leave plenty of stopping room. no power assist at all.the cool thing with this car is i get race challenges every day. no one has come close yet, this car is rediculous. it feels like im being pulled, not like a motor is pushing me. iv talked to people about the brakes, and most say the same thing. powermaster is the most powerful, but its not reliable. how much does this conversion cost?

gnfreak
11-07-2005, 12:01 AM
iv talked to people about the brakes, and most say the same thing. powermaster is the most powerful, but its not reliable. how much does this conversion cost?

i got a whole conversion for about $125 thru somebody in FLA. he is/was on the t6p forum i believe. if you have a junkyard (oops, salvage yard) close to ya and dont mind pulling out your own parts ive heard you can get everything lots cheaper. the hardest part of the conversion is changing out the brake pedal assembly.
every car is diffrent so you may be able to get away with 20 psi, just make sure you are keeping track of knock with a scan tool. i've heard you can live with a small amount of knock in between the shift points, but i would rather be safe than sorry and tune for 0 knock. i use a SMC alcohol system and am able to run high boost without knock. i also run 42.5 injectors with a 100 octane race chip and a ta49 turbo. except for a little tip-in stumble i like the combo.
isn't it great the attention you get with these cars?? everytime i think of getting rid of it, someone gives me a thumbs up and i just have to slap myself for the bad thought of selling it.

good luck. get those brakes fixed so you dont have to do collision work to it also.

Add your comment to this topic!