Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

windshield crack repair?

dave mc
10-16-2005, 12:52 AM
My friend has a 2001 saturn sl2 w/ a cracked windshield[3/4 across the center approx. 18'' long] Is there a way to fix this while in the car or does he need to replace it?

Andydg
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
That's a pretty big crack. A friend of mine drove around for almost 6 months with a crack in his SL2 for about 6 months before water started to come through. He didn't even bother trying to fix it though...he just replaced it. He's a cheap ass so I'm sure if there was a way to fix it without replacing it he'd've done that. But I can't say for sure.

MagicRat
10-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Only bulls eye type stars and little chips can be fixed, so long as they are less than 1/4 inch across. Everything else including all cracks, and chips that have started to crack, cannot be fixed.

Your buddy needs a new windshield.
Personally, I usually buy a new windshied at a glass shop for about $100 Canadian, and get a glass guy to install it for $80 cash.
Getting a glass shop to do the whole thing is about $250-400. They often gouge the price because most windshield jobs are insurance jobs.

PBking82
10-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Yea those prices Canadian are about the same as US. You could do it for real cheap if you find the glass at a junkyard, and succeed in removing the glass without damaging it, and get all of the adhesive off. That's a pain the balls though, so I'd recomend just buying new glass. Peace-

Add your comment to this topic!