Blazer is dead with frequent clicking sound.....


bob_d
10-15-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a 2001 Blazer that was working fine this morning. When I attempted to start it this afternoon, it was dead. It appears the problem is related to the electrical system.

When attempting to use the Blazer this afternoon, I unlocked the doors using the remote control, it worked. When I entered the car I noticed a clicking sound, which was fairly frequent, from behind the glovebox. The car was dead. The remote for opening the doors no longer worked (but caused more clicking when pressed), the turn signals and hazard lights were out, the radio was dead (no clock) and the car wouldn't start.

To troubleshoot, I removed fuses one by one to try to narrow down a possible source of the problem. The oddest thing I noticed when I opened the fusebox was the absence of a 25A fuse in location #20 (listed as AMPF in the fuse diagram). I'm the only driver of this car and am the only one with a key. I haven't opened fusebox in at least two years. Is it possible the car would have worked fine without this fuse?

I had the multipurpose switch (relay?) replaced due to a problem a few months back. I'm wondering if the garage removed the fuse during their work.

Upon removing the fuse labeled "CTSY LP", I noticed the clicking disappeared. It reappeared when attempting to turn on the hazard lights. Still, the car wouldn't start. Prior to removing this fuse the car appeared completely dead. At this point the alarm indicating I've left the keys in the ignition came to life. I did have the keys in the ignition and the drive side door was open.

At this point my XM radio (connected to power via the cigarette lighter) would power on. The display on the radio flickered quite a bit. Turning on the hazard light resulted in the radio losing power and then quickly rebooting.

To eliminate problems with the radio (the only part of the car I've ever worked on), I removed it. The factory radio and the added XM radio are removed. No improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this problem could be? Any suggestions on a repair?

Thanks,
Bob

Gabe25
10-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Have you checked your battery connections. Did you try jump starting it?

bob_d
10-15-2005, 07:49 PM
The battery connections appeared to be well connected. I didn't try jump starting it yet. Do you feel a weak battery could cause this sort of problem?

Thanks,
Bob

Have you checked your battery connections. Did you try jump starting it?

JC327
10-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Could certainly be a weak battery. Check the battery to make sure it's fully charged and will hold its charge.

Also check the condition of the actual cables themselves also beyond the connections at the battery, look for any corrosion or breakage.

rlith
10-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Agree, it's either the battery is dead (which also can be caused by a bad alt not charging) or your connections.

blazes9395
10-17-2005, 12:38 AM
I agree, looks like its time for a new battery, but, yes check connections, and of course your alternator.

bob_d
10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Last evening a friend and I tried jump starting the car, no luck. The connections to the battery seemed to be well connected.

This morning I called AAA for help. He initially couldn't get the car to start either. He tried a second time with the - lead connected to the car body. No luck. The third try he moved the + lead to a part of the engine. Unfortunately, I was in the driver seat trying to start the car and missed what he had connected the line to. This time the car started.

The problem turned out to be the battery. The battery was leaking. Myself, a friend, and the AAA guy had missed the acid (or whatever chemical it was) that was on the + connection of the battery.

With a new battery and two new bolts, the Blazer is running fine.

Bob

I agree, looks like its time for a new battery, but, yes check connections, and of course your alternator.

rlith
10-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Glad to see you got yourself situated...Always love a happy ending...

Add your comment to this topic!