Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tracker Warranty and Clutch problems

Fish Guy
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
My 2002 2 dr, 4wd, 5 spd, Tracker has only 24,000 mi on it, and I just had to put a new clutch in it. I bought an extended GMPP warranty from GM, but the dealer drove it (not taking the clutch apart, just drove it) and claimed that the clutch wear was not covered under the warranty, and said I would have to pay for the repair. Fair enough. The dealer wanted $1500 to replace with GM parts, and $1000 to use after market parts, which of course would have no warranty.

So, I decided to not get a $1500 repair job for only a one-year parts warranty, and save money and go to a local, independent mechanic. The mechanic charge me $800 (parts/labor) to replace the clutch and bearings. The kicker is that the independent mechanic showed me the clutch plate, which was obviously not worn. The problem was the "spokes" that come out (sorry, not sure of the technical name) of the clutch assembly, and my mechanic stated that this was not my fault, and that the part was defective. In other words, the GM dealer just assumed that I was at fault, didn't even open the clutch assembly up, and the clutch plate was not worn out by me. I am thinking about taking this to small claims court to have the dealer replace with real GM parts, and then get my $800 refunded from GM. I have talked with my lawyer friend, and he thinks I have a strong case. Has anyone else had this problem with a Tracker or the GM warranty?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

mike1224
10-19-2005, 08:13 AM
have you contacted customer care yet? better yet, have lawyer friend contact them, saying that he is acting on behalf of you, there is a trained (i hope) mechanic that will vouch that the seems to be defective. i'm sure others will have input as well,

licorice
03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
We're experiencing the exact same problem! If you can give any advice on what you went through, I'd love to know about it!

Add your comment to this topic!