Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake and ABS light just came on

softailFXST2004
10-13-2005, 08:17 PM
brake and ABS light just came on on my 96 ram 1500. does this truck have a sensor that can tell when the pads are low? does this mean the back brakes? just fluid low? thanks in advance!

scoutinkeith
10-14-2005, 11:36 AM
is your spedometer working below 25-30 MPH?

I had a similar thing happen to the 99 1500 that I used to have, the ABS, and BREAK lights came on, and the spedo quit working below 30MPH. turned out that the speed sensor in the rear axle had gone bad.
even if your spedo is still working, I'd still check the speed sensor on the rear axle, sometimes they pick up metal shavings from the gears, and don't send a good signal, and sometime you can get by with just cleaning the sensor. if cleaning it doesn't work, you should be able to pick up a new sensor for around $25 at the parts store.

softailFXST2004
10-14-2005, 11:12 PM
I found the prob....the fluid was a little low so I put more in then pumped the brakes.....a huge brke line leak showed itself on the driver side back inside the frame by the gas tank...looks like I'll have to drop the gas tank to get at it...anyone have experience with this line? Do I have to get the line from the dealer or can I just get a generic line from autozone????

Cheech43
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
My 97 just did this, but I have very little brake power left, all the sudden
reservior was half full.... brakes go almost to the floor

Add your comment to this topic!