Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Durango - Headlights blink

marty19
10-13-2005, 11:26 AM
A few weeks ago while driving to work, my gas light came on and then started randomly blinking and dinging. At the same time, my headlights and dash illumination lights started blinking.

I filled my gas tank and the gas light turned off, but the headlight blinking still remains. When they blink, I can hear a relay? clicking to the left of the steering column.

It seems to take about ten minutes of driving for the problem to develop and then the lights blink every few seconds.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marty

roadster1252
12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I've had the exact problem of headlights blinking, intermittently, and the clicking at the same moment, for a few weeks now. The dash board lights go out as well.

I read with interest your experience with the gas light. Although in the past our gas light had a history of dinging only once when low on fuel (until the vehicle was either shut off for a while or refueled) it suddenly dinged every 20 seconds or so until refueling took place. That was unusual.

While searching the web, I came across another forum discussing replacing the central timer module (CTM), which seemed to fix the problem, but no recall info, except for 2003 Durango recall for replacement of CTM, for problems of right headlight potentially going out.

I have been to the dealership, which checked fuses and replaced the light switch, but no solution. They were going to call the 'factory' to get more info and ideas!

Right now, I have the Durango in an auto electric shop. Will see if problem solved later today! I told them about the CTM, which they are checking into. Will post results. Hope you have solved your problem already, so you can let me know YOUR results! (if you get this message, that is!)

marty19
12-04-2005, 08:20 AM
It turned out to be the CTM. The dealer seemed to use the terms CTM and Body Control Module interchangeably. They replaced it and the problem is solved.

roadster1252
12-04-2005, 09:59 AM
It turned out to be the CTM. The dealer seemed to use the terms CTM and Body Control Module interchangeably. They replaced it and the problem is solved.

Thanks for the reply! It was the CTM in my case as well.

xpress60
07-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I am having the exact same problem with my dodge dakota. Can you share the address to that other forum with us ? Also how much forthe CTM ?

roadster1252
07-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Two threads to check out: (found by searching for 'dodge durango CTM recall')--don't remember what other forum name was, but perhaps by searching for above, you can come across it:

1. http://www.topnotchsuv.com/2003dodgedurangorecall.html

2. http://www.dodgepowerclub.com/forums/TSB/RCB3202.pdf#search='dodge%20durango%20ctm%20recall '

From what I remember, the auto electric place had to actually purchase the replacement part through the dodge dealership, big surprise, and it cost somewhere around $230-300 for the part. (was not itemized on the receipt from auto electric, but I remember something being said about the cost from the dealership). Hope this helps!

xpress60
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
It was the CTM on my truck also.

19eng71
12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Guys - I have read everything you all have posted here - all very helpful as i have very similar problems!
Have ordered a replacement CTM as i'm sure this will clear up my fault.
Can i replace the CTM myself - or is there reprogramming required that a dealer has to undertake?
Thanks

dave2002
02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi - this problem is happening to my 2002 durango, except it's the "security" light that blinks on and off, along with the headlights, dash lights, and dome lights accompanied by a clicking(relay?) sound. Does anybody else have this problem or know what's going on? thanks

19eng71
02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Dave
We had the CTM changed and all is good with regards to flashing lights, dash illumination / icons etc. However, the security has been compromised! For some reason the new CTM decides that if the durango is left for any longer than 30 seconds, locked or unlocked, it will arm the alarm - very annoying!!!! This may be yet another trip to the dealer $$$!

kldees
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
This happened to me in 2006; left me stranded in the woods overnight with NO headlights. Now, it's happened again last night. The part cost $320 in '06 and an hour labor to diagnose, another hour to install and program. Anyone know how to program it? I'd like to replace myself.

Update: I saw a tip on another site that suggested pulling the IOD fuse (ignition on draw) for 5 minutes and then putting it back in. Another tip I saw suggested taking off the + battery cable for 30 minutes and replace it. My 2001 didn't have the IOD fuse, so I took off the battery cable for 30 minutes. When re-installed, everything worked fine. I'd certainly try this before spending the money for the CTM.

jcsnapp
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
All,
Thanks for all the info. This has been by far the most helpful information so far. I also have the same problem ('04 Durango). The headlights (most frequently), parking lights, dash lights, and even fog lights will intermittently turn on/off.
I read these forums and priced the Front Control Module (as the dealer calls it) and they said $779 (for the part only). Outragous. I can buy this part on ebay for ~$100.

Is this something I can replace myself or does this have any additional programming needed to be done by the dealer?

Clearly I'm going to try to remove the positive battery cable 1st, but I'd like some information on replacing the Front Control Module in case this doesn't work.

hundahunta
12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
the fcm can be replaced by yourself..though your customer preferences might be changed back to factory configurations...like auto door lock, drivers door unlock first press, etc.....after you connect the fcm turn the key on for about 2 minutes without starting the vehicle...this is done to transfer the vin and vehicle configuration from the CCN (cluster) to the FCM....make sure the part numbers are the same....

Bad Bill G
12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Hello Everybody,

The Central Timer Module, Mopar Part # 05114191AA is a very common problem to 2001 - 2003 Dodge Durangos, and Dakotas. There might be some other models affected also. I had mine replaced at Bell Dodge in Phoenix, AZ. I paid $554.95 with labor. They charged me 2 hours of labor, so I think I got ripped off a little. Make sure they reprogram your remote key fobs too.

I may have paid a little more, but it beats driving that Durango (http://dodgeforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=38822#) with blinking lights at night. My wife and I renamed out Durango "Blinky". I had to plan my daily routine to make sure I wasn't caught out on the road after dark. Other drivers would stare at me on the road, and I even had a Highway Patrol officer give me a second look and shake his head as he passed me by. I guess he was too busy to pull me over to ask why my lights were blinking.

Anyways, I did file a NHTSA (http://dodgeforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=38822#) Recall Request complaint at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/)

Maybe if more people file complaints, the NHTSA will finally recall these affected vehicles and make Dodge fix this dangerous driving (http://dodgeforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=38822#) condition.

Cheers,

Bill.

Bad Bill G
12-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Hello Everybody,

The Central Timer Module, Mopar Part # 05114191AA is a very common problem to 2001 - 2003 Dodge Durangos, and Dakotas. There might be some other models affected also. This module malfunction causes the headlights, exterior and interior lights to flicker while the engine is running. I had mine replaced at Bell Dodge in Phoenix, AZ. I paid $554.95 with labor. They charged me 2 hours of labor, so I think I got ripped off a little. Make sure they reprogram your remote key fobs too.

I may have paid a little more to get my CTM replaced, but it beats driving that Durango with blinking lights at night. My wife and I renamed our Durango "Blinky". I had to plan my daily routine to make sure I wasn't caught out on the road after dark. Other drivers would stare at me on the road, and I even had a Highway Patrol officer give me a second look and shake his head as he passed me by. I guess he was too busy to pull me over to ask why my lights were blinking.

Anyways, I did file a NHTSA Recall Request complaint at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Maybe if more people file complaints, the NHTSA will finally recall these affected vehicles and make Dodge fix this dangerous driving condition.

Cheers,

Bill.

Bad Bill G
12-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Also,

If you have the CTM replaced, make sure you ask for the old module back so they don't try to charge you for something they did not replace.

Cheers,

Bill.

deetru
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
File your complaint!! Everyone with a 2003 dodge Durango is experiencing the same problem all we can do is file our complaint with the NHTSA online and calling Dodge CS 1-800-423-6243 and the recall dept. 1-800-853-1403 and hopefully they will recall the damn CTM part and reimburse us for the work we all need to get done!

Add your comment to this topic!