Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you glue painted parts?

gabbadude
10-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I know , I know...

It's a stupid question! But I'm a newbie and need help. I have sprayed the body but now the instruction booklet is telling me to attached the side mirrors. But how does it stick to a surface that has paint on it? I know that in order for the 2 parts to stick they need to have both surfaces clean. The glue acts as a melting agent which then fuses the 2 together. But if they both have paint on them or even if only one has paint, then how is it supposed to stick or at least stay there permanantly??

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question but help me out here guys. please....

~* gabbadude *~

Vric
10-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Same way as chromed part. you remove the paint of the part you need to glue (in this case the base of the mirror and the body) with a sharp blade.

D_LaMz
10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
super glue or elmers white glue

gabbadude
10-12-2005, 03:49 PM
It just feels so wrong to scratch into the paint that I just laid on! What if i screw it up??

JTRACING
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
It just feels so wrong to scratch into the paint that I just laid on! What if i screw it up??

just use white glue then. that way if it gets knocked off, it wont damage the paint.

Merkava
10-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Try using white glue, as mentioned by D_LaMz. It will adhere to the painted surfaces well enough to hold side mirrors on. It won't be super-strong, but it will be the most non-destructive (also, if you mess up on placement, you can wipe the glue off with a little water).

mickbench
10-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Ah.. The old glue question. I was just like you months ago. Then I brought some Tamiya CA glue and Micro Scale Clear glue.

Clear glue for door mirrors will work. On my S2000 there was little to no chance of removing the paint, so applied clear glue to both sides of the parts, allow to dry for around 5 minutes then push them on.

It is not strong, but models are static and once completed are NEVER to be touched anyhow.

And Tamiya CA glue is the mutts nutts if you can get some. It glues everything, P/E parts included. And it does't eat paint. Very safe to use, apart from it does bond fingers well.. I use it more then any other glue. It's thin and works with only the smallest of drops.

To build model cars you need a good selection of glues. I only use plastic cement for parts that are not painted, or where I can easily remove the paint.

If already painted, I use CA glue.

For P/E etc I used CA, and clear glue (only just started to work with P/E) but clear paint works great.

As for windows and body parts (after paintjob completed) I tend to use Micro scale clear glue.

Grampas Club
10-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Mickbench-

Thanks for taking the time to write that up- I found it very useful, as I'm sure others will also.

gabbadude
10-13-2005, 04:28 AM
This is great info. Thanks mickbench!!

Add your comment to this topic!