Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tuning question

rubs
10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi,

I have a 98 camry with about 128k miles. I have done regular maintenace and done the following:
60k service
-----------
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs
pcv valve
coolant flush
timing belt
transmission fluid
o2 sensor (check engine light on)

90k service
-----------
air filter
pcv valve
throttle body cleaning

around 120k service
-------------
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs
pcv valve
timing belt (water pump broken so need to be done again)
coolant flush
transmission fluid
front strut and mount

I have never replace the following so need advice about should i replace them now or only if required by mechanic or wait for breakdown etc:
1) power steering fluid
2) drive belt and hoses
3) transmission flush
4) any other part that should be replaced by now
5) should i change to synthetic mobil 1 oil or keep using normal oil

Thanks
--rubs

Toysrme
10-10-2005, 08:36 PM
So long as you're changing oil every 5,000 miles like the book says, the oil isn't really going to matter. Yes, Mobile 1 synthetic (at the moment & forseeable future) is the best non specialty oil you can buy. I love it. 5w-30. Surprizingly, it's normally found cheapest in 4/5 quart jugs @ Wall-mart!

Powersteering fluid should be changed every few years. Good general directions here (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t19334.html)
Belts & hoes are easy to change. Normally every 30,000 miles. They're easy enough to look at.
The transmission should be flushed every other year, or the pan should be drained & filled at every oil change. Either way, you shuold flush it now, & flush it every few years (if you drain the pan every oil change)
4) any other part that should be replaced by now
Coolant should be flushed every other year.
Brake fluid should be flushed every other year, no more than three.

Just keep cleaning the Idle valve out every few years & do the above.

rubs
10-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks a lot for all the info.
1) Sam's club is selling 5W30 SYN 6-1 QTS for about 28$, How much QTS do we require for each oil change?. Which filter should i buy along with this oil?
2) Last time i asked dealer about transmission flush, they told that flush is not required and only fluid drain and fill should be fine. Should i just do it anyhow?
3) What is idle value i.e. what is the exact part name.

Thanks
--rubs

So long as you're changing oil every 5,000 miles like the book says, the oil isn't really going to matter. Yes, Mobile 1 synthetic (at the moment & forseeable future) is the best non specialty oil you can buy. I love it. 5w-30. Surprizingly, it's normally found cheapest in 4/5 quart jugs @ Wall-mart!

Powersteering fluid should be changed every few years. Good general directions here (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t19334.html)
Belts & hoes are easy to change. Normally every 30,000 miles. They're easy enough to look at.
The transmission should be flushed every other year, or the pan should be drained & filled at every oil change. Either way, you shuold flush it now, & flush it every few years (if you drain the pan every oil change)

Coolant should be flushed every other year.
Brake fluid should be flushed every other year, no more than three.

Just keep cleaning the Idle valve out every few years & do the above.

sanengo
10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
2) transmission fluid flush is recommended if you haven't done transmission fluid change regularly. Otherwise you'd be mixing really old fluid with new fluid.

3) I believe the idle valve is on top of your throttle body. It has an electrical connector attached to it. Clean it only if you have idle problems.. otherwise just spray carb cleaner into your intake plenum through the throttle body. (Correct me toysrme :))

Also try seafoam!

Add your comment to this topic!