Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Passat engine swap

jmejia
10-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey guys i have a 1996 passat gls and i want to swap a VR6 engine into it, i have another passat VR6, im not sure of the year but its around the same as mine. how easy will this be if it can be done?

DrEvil7378
02-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I just swapped a vr6 for a vr6 in my 95 its not <i>too</i> bad, but unless you're doing the work it will get expensive.. the thing is if you're coming up from a 2.0 you're going to need a trans for it to assu,ing you want a 5spd an 02A, drive axles, then you would want the vr6 subframe, essentially the whole front suspension needs to get upgraded, then theres the matter of swapping out your computer, wire harness and the little matter of hydraulic clutch if you opt for a manual...unless you get a cable clutch conversion kit... but then you need to do an exhaust system as well and some other odds and ends. The fuel pump may need to be swapped out because I dont know what the pressure on the 2.0 calls for I know my fuel pump on my car is a 4 bar which is more than enough because fuel pressure is regulated but its something that needs to be considered because an engine running lean is just as bad as an engine running low on oil. the project would take some time...but its not necessarly the time or work involved...its an entire conversion and it requires $..so if you have it and want to go through with it bad enough by all means.

Add your comment to this topic!