Unknown Power Steering Part

gertman
10-10-2005, 02:16 AM
I have a 1994 Trooper with a power steering leak. There is some kind of sensor attached to the pressure hose but does not show up on any parts list. It screws in and has two wires coming out of it. I also have a Chiltons service manual and there is no reference to this part in there either. Any ideas where I can get more information on this part?

Gizmo42
10-10-2005, 06:32 PM
It's the power steering pressure switch. When you turn the steering wheel the pressure closes the switch. If the engine is just idling the switch tells the computer to increase the rpm so the engine doesnt stall from the increased load (info from the Haynes manual).

gertman
10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
It's the power steering pressure switch. When you turn the steering wheel the pressure closes the switch. If the engine is just idling the switch tells the computer to increase the rpm so the engine doesnt stall from the increased load (info from the Haynes manual).

Thanks. The part is $140. But at least I know what it's for now. Does the Haynes book say anything about the installation? The part will not be here until Friday at the earliest.

Gizmo42
10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow thats an expensive switch.

Haynes just says unplug the electrical connector, unscrew the switch, apply teflon tape or thread sealant to the threads of the new switch, install, plug in electrical connector.

gertman
10-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks. The part is $140. But at least I know what it's for now. Does the Haynes book say anything about the installation? The part will not be here until Friday at the earliest.

Thanks for the help. Part's in and car is running fine.

Gizmo42
10-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the help. Part's in and car is running fine.

Glad everything worked out for you

Add your comment to this topic!