Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Code 31 Park/Neutral Safety

skeeter1949
10-09-2005, 07:04 PM
My 1991 PA is showing a Code 31, which is a Park/Neutral safety problem. It will only shows the code in the historical codes, not in current codes, I have cleared the code and after a while it comes back. is this the neutral safety switch?? or is there something else

Loekee75
11-22-2005, 12:33 PM
My 1991 PA is showing a Code 31, which is a Park/Neutral safety problem. It will only shows the code in the historical codes, not in current codes, I have cleared the code and after a while it comes back. is this the neutral safety switch?? or is there something else

My 92' PA has the same trouble code..31 PNP switch or circuit. The car never showed any problems from this code. My technician told me "It's just an old back code" and he cleared it. I knew it wasn't a "back code" because I had cleared the code myself, several times. Finally I just forked over about 80 bucks for a new PNP switch, and I saw no difference. The code came back as well. My advise is have the PNP tested (if possible) first, because obviously mine didn't make a difference, and I'm out 80 dollars! Good luck to you, and I'm interested to hear what you find out!

skeeter1949
11-22-2005, 02:39 PM
My 92' PA has the same trouble code..31 PNP switch or circuit. The car never showed any problems from this code. My technician told me "It's just an old back code" and he cleared it. I knew it wasn't a "back code" because I had cleared the code myself, several times. Finally I just forked over about 80 bucks for a new PNP switch, and I saw no difference. The code came back as well. My advise is have the PNP tested (if possible) first, because obviously mine didn't make a difference, and I'm out 80 dollars! Good luck to you, and I'm interested to hear what you find out!

Loekee: Thanks for the reply..I have a very good ODB I code reader and it only shows this code in the Historical codes, never in current codes, I have cleared it 2 times now and it comes back. I can't see that it is causing a problem with the car so I am hesitant to spend money for a part that I don't need. A good friend of mine who is a certified mechanic by trade says not to worry about it...but I can't help but worry about it. I was hoping to hear from a few others that may have had this problem, but it looks like you and I are the only ones...Thanks

Loekee75
11-23-2005, 07:33 AM
HOTZ28 left this message regarding my Park/ Neutral Position switch:

Code 31 Park/nuetral switch

Check all connectors, and for a faulty switch. That is all there is on this one!

Well I replaced the switch, so it must be one of those HUNDREDS of wrapped up, hard to get to wires way down in the hardest to reach place! Luck me!:)

Add your comment to this topic!