Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

polishing painted plastic bumper

RWRW
10-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Just did a paint touch up on several major parking lot dings on the front bumper of a 2005 Accord. The dealer touch up paint is a good match, and 2000 grit wet sanding has smoothed things out well. The sanded areas are foggy, I guess from micro scratches. I read conflicting info on polishing compounds on painted plastic bumpers. Can anybody recommend something that works?

Markgase2000
11-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Just did a paint touch up on several major parking lot dings on the front bumper of a 2005 Accord. The dealer touch up paint is a good match, and 2000 grit wet sanding has smoothed things out well. The sanded areas are foggy, I guess from micro scratches. I read conflicting info on polishing compounds on painted plastic bumpers. Can anybody recommend something that works?
I would suggest buffing and finishing compounds sealed with a good sealant. This all done low rpm on a power polisher. Provided theres enough clear coat to bring it back. High speed polishing can cringe the paint or seperate it. The paint and plastic heat up at different levels of friction and dissapate heat different from one another. So be careful.

Add your comment to this topic!