Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about turbochargers

Ducaire
10-08-2005, 09:50 PM
If you have a turbocharged vehicle, will it sound good? I've always liked the way semis and big diesel pickups sound. When you let off the gas pedal, it sounds kind of like a jet engine. :D

OverBoardProject
10-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't think that it's worth it, unless you just get the entire motor and drop it in.

My reasons for this are
A. The bottom end wasn't built strong enough.
B. A turbocharger likes a low compression motor.

If your motor needs rebuilding anyways you can get forged dished pistons and use ARP bolts.
Then your laughing.
Some people say that you need stronger valves too, but I really don't know about that.
It's still a lot of work for all the plumbing.

If you decide to do the job keep a photo journal of it and put it on a web page. I'd like to see it.

dmbrisket 51
10-09-2005, 12:48 AM
to simply answer your question yes, they sound awsome, specally with the right blow off valve, is it worth it? yes and no, if its what you WANT then go for it, pull the moter out, you NEED to beef up the bottum end, cast pistons WILL wind up in the oil pan, and then, once all done, be prepaired, because turbos/supers require constent attention to stay running good

rlith
10-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Actually the one from www.machperformance.com compensates for all that possible weakness and it's a direct bolt in, no mods to the engine needed except for sending your ECM in to bill mach to get it reprogrammed... Everyone I know (about 6 people, not a whole lot but still) who has his turbo or s/c system enjoys it a lot..

Add your comment to this topic!