Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 sonoma manual trans problems

torin
10-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I was driving my pickup down the freeway today & all of a sudden when trying to shift into 5th gear, found it was missing! It will physically fall into position like a normal shift, but will not engage the gear. I also found that reverse will just kind of grind like it barely touches with the gear, but will not fall into place.... Has anyone had this problem? I can fix mostly anything on the truck, but I am curious if this is a major problem or can it be fixed by a fairly seasoned shadetree mechanic? thanks for any responses....

OverBoardProject
10-09-2005, 08:36 PM
That is an odd one.

I really wouldn't know what it is, however I'm told that it's pretty easy working on the manual gearbox.
I'm told that it's easier than rebuilding a motor.

If you decide to tackle this on your own please let me know what the problem was and how hard it was to fix

rlith
10-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Could be the synchros are shot, I'm not a transmission expert (I can tinker though and get clutches changed out). I'd swing by a shop and talk to them, hell, it could be nothing more than your linkage..If you have an aamco, they won't charge to take a quick look at it.

tom3
10-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Fifth and reverse are on the same shift rail I'm thinking, so I'd guess the shift fork on that rail has come loose or bent/broken. Be pretty unusual for fifth gear to just fail like this. Not an easy fix as it's all internal.

spivey-1
10-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey man got a new one if you want it and cant get your old one fixed. Just pm me. It is a 4 cylinder 5 speed came out of a 95 sonoma should work fine. low miles

OverBoardProject
10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
If it was my problem I would take you up on that offer

spivey-1
10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree with OverBoardProject, I would take me up on this offer also. You are not going to find a better deal than this one.

Add your comment to this topic!