Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dead battery

jag214
10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
I have a 98 rodeo. I replaced the battery, yet everytime I try to start it ... it completely dead. When I jump the battery, it starts up fine. I unplugged the black lead while the engine is running and it does not shut off.

Need to help. Don't think its a started. Can it be a voltage regulator or ignition coil?

amigo-2k
10-07-2005, 11:01 PM
do you have an aftermarket, amp or radio?

jag214
10-08-2005, 09:22 AM
No. everything is stock. what's interesting is that when a jump the battert, it always starts up find. I was told if you unplug on of the battery cable, while th eengine is running, and it stalls ... it could be the alternator. But, the engine is not effected when you do this.

rodeo02
10-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Sounds like the battery is not charging. Probably a bad alternator. Do you get 14VDC across the battery (hooked up) while the truck is idling? If you don't, the alternator is bad.
G/luck
Joel

Gizmo42
10-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Be carefull with removing the ground lead while the vehicle is running. I fried a radio that way once. Not sure what it would to to the computer.

An easy way to check the alternator, other then just voltage, is if you can get to it touch the end of a screwdriver to the backside of the alternator in the center (where the dust cap is and be carefull not to touch any power leads) if it is magnatized it is working. Could still be magnatized if the regulator is bad though so try the voltage test as well.

Also check that no door switches are sticking and leaving the interior lights on which would drain the battery. I have this problem with my mitsu so I leave the light switched to off.

Ramblin Fever
10-08-2005, 10:03 PM
What type of battery? CCA?

Had bought a battery from Walmart - only store open the night my battery & alternator croked. My truck killed that battery in nothing flat - turned out they had given me a battery for a 4-cylinder Rodeo, not the V6 auto.

I also believe, however, that my dying alternator finished that battery as well.

I've had excellent results after having bought an Interstate 750 CCA battery and a BOSCH alternator.

smarquez1
10-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I am suddenly having the same problem. Alternator was replaced with OEM rebuild from NAPA less than a year ago and has worked like a charm, no weird lights or intermittent AC problems like an alternator on its way out in these cars gives you. But now my battery has been dead twice, jumps very easily though, and starts the car at other times. Good voltage across the posts when running. Looking for a short or something drawing current all the time, but no lights or accessories on at all. Could it be something common that I am missing or haven't heard about? Or just a bad battery? That'd be three this week, in three different cars. Yeesh. 2eye, amigo2K, anybody?

sinner

iskiuskiweski
12-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a similar problem going on here, if the truck sits for more than a few days the battery is dead. No lights on or anything, only the security LED that blinks constantly. Anyone know of any reason it dies so quickly?

mva5142
12-15-2005, 11:44 AM
I posted about a similar problem on my 1993 3.2L. You could turn the key and it would click, then no power at all, no radio lights or anything. Long story short it was the negative battery cable. When you jump it to start it you pick a ground from the other car, so it can complete the circuit, but when you try to start it without that it may or may not make a good ground connection. I replaced the negative battery cable terminal and is has worked great. You might try that, it is a cheap fix, maybe 4-5$. With an electrical problem like that, unless you have a lot of time and expertise, you usually end up replacing things until the problem goes away. Start with simple, cheap fixes like new connections on your battery cables. Let us know how it goes.

directory
12-15-2005, 06:09 PM
a good idea..that's why i did it, is to have 2 negative ground cables. go buy and audio power cable block that attaches to the battery, then run 2 4guage wires off of it. one to the chassis the other to the same spot where to original is.

i just did it becuase i had and extra terminal laying around. it looks kind of cool too. i think it also helps witht the grounding of stereo equipement.

Add your comment to this topic!