Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 4x4 abs and other problems

mentalcase
10-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey guys ive been doing alot of searches for the past two days and i still have a few questions. I went ahead and got the codes from the abs computer. The ones i got were

53-rear open or shorted sensor
63-rear missing sensor or Rear sensor signal droupout

I need to pass inspection and the DMV will not pass me with my abs light on. So what should i do to fix it? Could it be my computer? With the errors only one sensor i kind of ruled that out.
Also where are the locations of the ABS computer and the ABS sensors?
Thanks in advance guys.

Also, im hearing a rattling under the car. Sounds like sheet metal but im not sure. Some one told me it could be a heat sheild. Where is this located ?

rodeo02
10-07-2005, 10:02 AM
You only have one sensor for the rear & it's connected thru the rear differential. I'd look for a broken wire or shorted connector for the wiring on/near the back axle. The whole ABS module is under the hood, over the fender, towards the rear left corner.
G/luck
Joel

mentalcase
10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I found the computer after looking some more. It was right in front of my eyes but i thought it must be harder to find. Now is the rear sensor easliy replaceable. I dont know too much about cars but i am able to take a few screws out and connect something. Im just wondering if this is something i can do.

rodeo02
10-07-2005, 06:19 PM
The sensor is on the rear differential housing towards the top. I've not heard of the sensor going bad, only a bad connection/wiring.
G/luck
Joel

mentalcase
10-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I think im just going to replace the whole sensor. I take it they cant be that exspensive right? So on a scale of 1-10 how hard of a job is it.

KJK
10-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I think im just going to replace the whole sensor. I take it they cant be that exspensive right? So on a scale of 1-10 how hard of a job is it.

They are about $100 and I'd give it a 3 just because you have to jack up the vehicle and it's in an awkward place. Don't mess up the o-ring seal when you put it back in or you will have a pretty good differential lube leak!

surferfletch
10-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I've seen it discussed that some grit and grime can get inside the sensor, and that you can take it apart, clean it, and put it back together with some sealant. True? I was about to try this since my ABS light will come on sometimes after a rainstorm.

Could your rattle be from the dustshield for the brake rotor?

Add your comment to this topic!