Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

tips on installing cp pistons

fordperson
10-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Hey, Im installing rings on my cp pistons. I have a couple of questions...
1. Is there a top and bottom side to each of the rings?
2. Do I cut the spacer for the oil ring? it fits back to back on the piston ok but im afraid it might be a bit to big...
3.Which rings do I install first? The oil scraper rail #1 then oil spacer then rail #2 then the 2 combustion rings?
4. Do I lube the rings in any way or no?

Any other tips would be great.

Tom

curtis73
10-07-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey, Im installing rings on my cp pistons. I have a couple of questions...
1. Is there a top and bottom side to each of the rings?
2. Do I cut the spacer for the oil ring? it fits back to back on the piston ok but im afraid it might be a bit to big...
3.Which rings do I install first? The oil scraper rail #1 then oil spacer then rail #2 then the 2 combustion rings?
4. Do I lube the rings in any way or no?

Any other tips would be great.

Tom
1. Yes. In particular the top and second ring have tops and bottoms. Typically the top of the ring has a dot embossed in it. Always put the dot up. There is also a difference (with most engines) between the top ring and second ring. Usually the top ring has a chamfer and the second ring doesn't.

2. If you mean the little plastic button on the end of the oil holding ring, no. That spacer is there to prevent overlapping of the convoluted oil holder ring. If you overlap the ring, cylinder damage will happen.

3. I always install the oil rings first. Its easiest to put rings on from the top of the piston, so start at the bottom. I suggest just going up in order. The oil scraper rings are pretty pliable, so you can choose to put the scraper rings in first, then the wiggly ring, or whatever you find easiest. The oil rings don't need a ring spreader. You can carefully put them on by hand.

4. After you have all the rings on, dip the whole face of the piston in a coffee can of oil so that the face and rings get coated. Then install. That insures plenty of lube when you're pushing them down in the bores.

When installing rings (except the oil rings) ALWAYS use a ring expander. Never try to just work the rings down over the piston. If you just push the rings (which are harder than the piston) down over the edge of the piston you'll scratch the face or chamfer the edge of it. Not good. If you try to spread the rings by hand, they'll surely break.

I also like to clean the pistons first with carb cleaner or similar. The possibility of filings and junk leftover from machining in the ring lands makes me cringe. Clean, clean, clean. That's the ticket when assembling.

You probably also know this, but take a couple 4" sections of rubber fuel line and slide them over the rod bolts. That way when you're installing there is no chance of scoring the cylinder walls.

Your ring manufacturer should have sent instructions with the rings. If they're Federal Mogul they're printed on the box. If not, call them for proper installation techniques as some may have special tips.

Also consult your specific application for the "clocking" of the rings. With mine it was suggested that I install the oil scrapers with the gaps at 4 and 8, the second ring at 12, and the top ring at 6. Various theories abound, but do the research.

Add your comment to this topic!