Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new car cant decide on two very diff cars

MNracer
10-06-2005, 09:52 PM
hey guys,

i am getting a new car and cant decide on two cars. They are very different but i cant decide which one to get. One is a 1995 camaro lt1 and the other is a 1991 mr2 turbo. I am leaning towards the camarro but i still kinda like the mr2 and cant decide.

I kneed:
1. power
2. upgradabillity
3. handling
4. looks

97teggsr5
10-07-2005, 01:09 AM
not sure if the mr2 is faster, but its def quick as hell and looks sexy. also sounds exremely nice for stock. i say go with the mr2. any time you look to upgrade a car, although the mr2 may not fall under this category, imports are the way to go. not saying there isnt anything for american cars, but there are a TON of tuner parts for imports. I'd guess more than the lt1.

Moppie
10-07-2005, 03:02 AM
I kneed:
1. power
2. upgradabillity
3. handling
4. looks

And that sums up both cars perfectly.

So, look at some down sides to each:

MR2:
Cramped
Small (also an advantage when parking and moving in traffic)
Potentialy expensive to repair
Will swap ends very quickly if you lose control.

Camaro:
Big
Heavy
Simple
Use more gas than the MR2

kman10587
10-07-2005, 03:18 AM
The Camaro is the safer bet, and arguably, ultimately the faster car (more displacement to work with, bigger wheelbase/track). However, the MR2 still has loads of potential, very competitive performance with anything, and an undeniable uniqueness factor. I would go with the MR2.

blakscorpion21
10-07-2005, 09:30 AM
power-camaro
upgradability-both are very upgradable
handling-mr2
looks-mr2
both thesse cars are great and i would take either car anyday. the camaro will be faster in a straight line, while the mr2 is no slouch. like i said both cars are very upgradable, while the camaro has much more displacment and woulkd be a total monster if you superharged it, the 3sgte from the mr2 is a very good motor and had much aftermarket support. handling i think yhe mr2 would edge it out cause its lighter. cool fasctor definitley the mr2. how many do you see around? hardley any plus it is a very good looking car imo. and it is rear engine like a ferrari, u cant say thats not cool.

Zachp911
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
MR2 Turbo for sure, they have tons of aftermarket and can be made insanely fast.

NISSANSPDR
10-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Well the Camaro is faster and cheaper but the MR2 is smaller, lighter, more nimble, and would get slightly better gas mileage

Both have ample aftermarkets so it depends on what you can live w/and what you can live w/o

SuperHighOutput
10-07-2005, 07:05 PM
If power is your main concern then the Camaro is the way to go. The Camaro is faster in a straight line by a fair bit, not to say the MR2 is slow or anything. The MR2 is the better handling car, but the Camaro is isn't bad either. Both are upgradable, the Camaro can get 350rwhp with bolt-ons, the MR2 has the advantage of being a factory turbo car and will be easy to get more power from. The Camaro is rated at 17/26 mpg, and the MR2 is rated at 20/27 mpg. Looks are your opinion and therefore something you must decide for yourself. I'd go with the Camaro myself, it's more my style, it's loud and it's mean.

One other thing, if you want the power of the Camaro, but want to be a little different you could always opt for a Firebird.

nastyNater
10-10-2005, 09:53 AM
i say get the Toyota. i like the reliability of the 3sgte. my friends dad has a 92 turbo w/ bolt ons and a turbo swap and the thing is a SAVAGE at the auto-x. however, your gonna get more power from your money w/ the camaro's lt1. For me, it all comes down to the uniqueness factor. I see mean camaro's every day where i live- hooked up turbo MR2s? never. All the ones i see are stock w/ gray-haired people driving them. oh yeah almost forgot. the mr2 is mid-engine....that fact alone does it for me. so nimble....

Elk
10-10-2005, 04:12 PM
1. power
2. upgradabillity
3. handling
4. looks
Well looks are subjective so that’s up to you. When it comes to the handling the MR2 is the clear win, it’s a lighter mid-engine car. When it comes to power and mods the Camaro is the clear winner (swapping gears on a Camaro is going to be a lot easer). Also the Camaro is going to be a lot more practical, is this car going to just be for racing or do you want to be able to use it like a normal car?

I would say go for the Camaro, If you buy the MR2 your probably just going to end up selling it for some thing more practical.

And hear is some info about both cars:
MR2 (http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2356/)
Camaro (http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2007/)

curtis73
10-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I would lean slightly toward the Camaro, but everybody has one of those. :) LT1 is an excellent engine; more than its SBC heritage suggests. The MR2 is a cramped little car for me at 240 lbs and 6'1", but I can handle it. MR2s have a very cramped engine bay. Even mundane maintenance like plugs, wires, and sensors can be a real knuckle buster to get to. And heaven forbid you need to change an alternator :D PITA.

Two good choices and I would be happier with either one

BlackGT2000
10-13-2005, 09:40 PM
I would definately go with the camaro for speed. The MR2 can have a couple of things done cheaply to improve its power, but its already starting from a noticable disadvantage. When it comes to mods, dollar for dollar the camaro will still be faster. Although the MR2 may have a handling advantage, its unlikely to ever play a real role on the streets, so if you aren't planning on taking it to a track, it won't be as much as a factor. 95 percent of the stories posted by people are stoplight races or from a roll on a highway, the camaro is the clear choice under those circumstances. The MR2 is not a bad car and for some people it may just be their style, but to me I just have to look at it logically for my purposes.

Add your comment to this topic!