Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

first car

jocrew
10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
hi im 17 and im about to buy my first car but i dont know wut to get...
when i first looked at cars i really liked the ford mustang look but people say that a mustang has toooo much power for a first car...
is there anything that has the mustang look but little power?

if there are any cars that looks cool and not much power please tell me!!

thanks

potsdamcartel
10-05-2005, 10:30 PM
mustang has too much power?!?
what?

so what your looking for is a car with an agressive, tear some guy's balls off type of look, right?

honestly, i can't think of any. i would suggest a late 60s/early 70s muscle car, like a camaro but seeing how the mustang has too much power for you, i guess they're out. that and if i were you, i would want a more reliable car to start off with.

how much $$ do we have to work with?
BMWs have a nice agressive look, maybe you can pick up a nice mid 1990's model.

jocrew
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
doesnt the mustang have to much power for a first car?
alot of people told me not to get it because it has alot of power and low gas mileage... anything that has the sporty look and not alot of power will do good for me i think... is there anything like that?
please give me suggestions for my first car cause i really know nothing about cars... and the price range i will be using is from 5000-8000
but i dont really like the civic look..

Jetts
10-05-2005, 11:34 PM
a 4cyl mustang aint shit

SuperHighOutput
10-06-2005, 09:59 AM
A newer V8 Mustang does have too much power for a first car, but more than that it will kill you on insurance, anything that is high powered two doors and sporty will. On the other hand contrary to some people's beliefs Mustangs are reliable. I'd look at a Maxima or a Pontiac Grand Prix GT, both are sporty, have more than enough power, and won't kill you on insurance.

Sx2
10-06-2005, 12:12 PM
A newer V8 Mustang does have too much power for a first car, but more than that it will kill you on insurance, anything that is high powered two doors and sporty will. On the other hand contrary to some people's beliefs Mustangs are reliable. I'd look at a Maxima or a Pontiac Grand Prix GT, both are sporty, have more than enough power, and won't kill you on insurance.

maxima ( before 2001/2002) are ugly as hell but the take off is very fast.

MikeTheCarGuy
10-06-2005, 01:12 PM
If you are into GM like I am. Consider the following:
1990-94 Cavlier Z24 or Pontiac Sunbird GT
Grand Ams
Grand Prixs

With the V6s they are pretty peppy, but not to bad on gas or insurance.

SuperHighOutput
10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
If you are into GM like I am. Consider the following:
1990-94 Cavlier Z24 or Pontiac Sunbird GT
Grand Ams
Grand Prixs

With the V6s they are pretty peppy, but not to bad on gas or insurance.

I think with his budget he'd be better off getting a newer 2.4L Twin Cam Z24/Sunfire GT. They're faster, have a much much larger after market, and they are going to be easier to find with lower milage in good condition.

ZL1power69
10-10-2005, 10:29 PM
doesnt the mustang have to much power for a first car?
alot of people told me not to get it because it has alot of power and low gas mileage... anything that has the sporty look and not alot of power will do good for me i think... is there anything like that?
please give me suggestions for my first car cause i really know nothing about cars... and the price range i will be using is from 5000-8000
but i dont really like the civic look..

get a 96-02 camaro/firebird V6 if u want good looks with better gas milege. 3.8 v6 has about 200hp in those. they are definately in ur price range. My first car was an 87 IROC-Z Camaro V8 5 speed :evillol: . sold it because i got 7mpg on premium gas, lol, but it was a blast.
Like i said, an f-body with a v6 would be perfict for u. a good alternative if u don't want to go with the import crowd.

MikeTheCarGuy
10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
get a 96-02 camaro/firebird V6 if u want good looks with better gas milege. 3.8 v6 has about 200hp in those. they are definately in ur price range. My first car was an 87 IROC-Z Camaro V8 5 speed :evillol: . sold it because i got 7mpg on premium gas, lol, but it was a blast.
Like i said, an f-body with a v6 would be perfict for u. a good alternative if u don't want to go with the import crowd.

My Buddy has a 1993 Camaro RS with the 3.1V6 and a 5speed. Hes added true dual pipes and a intake. It is pretty quick. Gets not bad mileage and has enough power to stay out trouble. Ive driven it, its very nice.

SuperHighOutput
10-12-2005, 02:17 PM
My Buddy has a 1993 Camaro RS with the 3.1V6 and a 5speed. Hes added true dual pipes and a intake. It is pretty quick. Gets not bad mileage and has enough power to stay out trouble. Ive driven it, its very nice.

93 - 95 Camaros have 3.4L V6s.

breaknstuf4fun
10-12-2005, 02:51 PM
hmmm personally, i woundly suggest something with too much pep, and deffinitely not a two seater coupe or the false back seat. for a first car you want something with good mileage and something you can tote your friends along in. Some of thme may say, stupid why dind't you get the stang or some crap, but let's look at it this way, if you get a stang or a sporty coupe, more than likely they wouldn't fitt in the thing for the ride. Besides, i drive a 2001 Grand am. it's a little 2.4L 4-banger, but still has a little giddy in it, enough for some kicks, and has all the room i want, even enough trunk space for a few bodys. and it's look ain't half bad. though that's my suggestion, a sedan with nice mileage and a nice look. i would suggest cars like the accord, grand am, etc. and what ever else some of the guys on here may suggest.

basically, don't look for a first car that'll give you much of an adrenaline rush but a car that you can get some real use out of. It's worth it.

Add your comment to this topic!