Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

resistor chip keys

dbuesch
10-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Can anyone help me with my 1992 buick LeSabra. I lost my keys to my ignition and I do have a cut key that will work in the ignition. The key is not a resistor key. I need to know if there is a way to bypass the ignition switch and use a regular key. I do have all 15 resistor codes. Can a guy wire into the harness and try all 15 resistors, until the car starts. I know you must wait every three minutes until you can try again. I would like to know what wire to cut so I can wire the resistor into the vats system.

thanks

Darin

LeSabre97mint
10-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Can anyone help me with my 1992 buick LeSabra. I lost my keys to my ignition and I do have a cut key that will work in the ignition. The key is not a resistor key. I need to know if there is a way to bypass the ignition switch and use a regular key. I do have all 15 resistor codes. Can a guy wire into the harness and try all 15 resistors, until the car starts. I know you must wait every three minutes until you can try again. I would like to know what wire to cut so I can wire the resistor into the vats system.

thanks

Darin

Darin

Check out this link: http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/292005/169809/article.pdf

You could also go to your dealer (bring proof of ownership and your vin) and they can tell you what key (what value of resistor) you car needs. Be prepaired to fork over some money. They claim that GM charges them to look this information up. I found a local hardware store that stocks PassKey blanks for less than the dealer. (maybe you could be so lucky to find one in your neiborhood.)

Regards

Dan

HotZ28
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
This link may help also:

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm
GM Vats System Bypass

93buicklesabrelmtd
10-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Of course you can by pass it!
I did it when I installed my remote starter with something called a transponder!
They system still works as it should, just that when I auto start it, the Transponder sends the correct signal (resistance) the car is looking for.

If you dont have the old key to check for resistance with a DMM. Then at your local dealership with your Titile & Vin you can get a new pass key made for less than 30$

I just had a friend make a key for his Cadilac

Also the resistance has to be in +or- 5% I believe.

Add your comment to this topic!