Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you remove the speedometer casing in a '93 Mercury Grand Marquis?

little bird
10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
My speedometer has a loose cable which makes it work about half the time and do nothing the other half. I know how to fix it, and i know how to get the decorative trim and instrument panel facing off, I just don't know how to get the speedometer casing itself out so I can get to the cable. Any suggestions?

reekor
10-05-2005, 06:01 AM
How is your speedometer cable loose, since the car does not have one?
The 93 GM has a electric speedometer that comes in analog or digital.

My speedometer has a loose cable which makes it work about half the time and do nothing the other half. I know how to fix it, and i know how to get the decorative trim and instrument panel facing off, I just don't know how to get the speedometer casing itself out so I can get to the cable. Any suggestions?

little bird
10-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Wires, cable, I still need to know how to get to it. Some real help would be appreciated.

reekor
10-05-2005, 10:56 PM
You're welcome.

1. Disconnect battery ground.

2. Remove instrument cluster assembly. Refer to «Section 13-01B».

3. Keeping cluster face up, remove lens and mask retaining screws.

4. Remove lens and mask assembly. Use caution handling mask to prevent scratches.

5. Remove transmission indicator assembly.

6. Lift temperature gauge and fuel gauge from cluster. Set face up to avoid damage.

7. Lift speedometer assembly out of cluster.

«Section 13-01B».

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Remove the instrument cluster trim cover retaining screws and remove the trim cover.

3. Remove the six lower steering column cover retaining screws and remove the lower cover (Crown Victoria). Remove the five knee bolster retaining screws and remove knee bolster (Town Car, Grand Marquis).

4. Remove screw fastening transmission range indicator column bracket to the steering column. Detach the cable loop from the pin and cane shift lever. Remove the column bracket from the column.

5. Remove the four cluster retaining screws.

6. Disconnect the cluster connectors from the back plate and remove the cluster assembly.

7. Remove eight screws (Crown Victoria) and six screws (Town Car, Grand Marquis) from lens and mask assembly.

8. Remove the temperature/oil and fuel/voltage assemblies from clusters (Crown Victoria). Remove temperature and fuel gauges from cluster (Town Car, Grand Marquis).

9. Remove PRN(D)21 from speedometer by releasing snaps (Crown Victoria). Remove two PRN(D)21 retaining screws from speedometer (Town Car, Grand Marquis).

10. Remove speedometer.

Wires, cable, I still need to know how to get to it. Some real help would be appreciated.

little bird
10-06-2005, 08:14 PM
You're welcome.

1. Disconnect battery ground.

2. Remove instrument cluster assembly. Refer to «Section 13-01B».

3. Keeping cluster face up, remove lens and mask retaining screws.

4. Remove lens and mask assembly. Use caution handling mask to prevent scratches.

5. Remove transmission indicator assembly.

6. Lift temperature gauge and fuel gauge from cluster. Set face up to avoid damage.

7. Lift speedometer assembly out of cluster.

«Section 13-01B».

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Remove the instrument cluster trim cover retaining screws and remove the trim cover.

3. Remove the six lower steering column cover retaining screws and remove the lower cover (Crown Victoria). Remove the five knee bolster retaining screws and remove knee bolster (Town Car, Grand Marquis).

4. Remove screw fastening transmission range indicator column bracket to the steering column. Detach the cable loop from the pin and cane shift lever. Remove the column bracket from the column.

5. Remove the four cluster retaining screws.

6. Disconnect the cluster connectors from the back plate and remove the cluster assembly.

7. Remove eight screws (Crown Victoria) and six screws (Town Car, Grand Marquis) from lens and mask assembly.

8. Remove the temperature/oil and fuel/voltage assemblies from clusters (Crown Victoria). Remove temperature and fuel gauges from cluster (Town Car, Grand Marquis).

9. Remove PRN(D)21 from speedometer by releasing snaps (Crown Victoria). Remove two PRN(D)21 retaining screws from speedometer (Town Car, Grand Marquis).

10. Remove speedometer.

Thank you very much.

Add your comment to this topic!