Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need assistance with Turn Signal Issue, '95 LS 4x4 "w" vin

pirates4ever
10-04-2005, 01:17 PM
This has been my 'go-to' website when I get stumped and you guys have helped out just about every time.

This is a 1995, 4.3L S-10 LS 4x4 extended cab with a "w" code vin.

Anyway, here's the deal. The other day my turn signals stop functioning, left or right. I get no dash indicator or lights on any corner. I'm also not getting clicking.

I've checked all four corner bulbs and they appear fine. I've also checked the fuses associated with all lights; those are good too.

I did do a search on here and found referenes to two areas: A flasher unit and a relay.

I have a Relay Access panel in my glove box with two relays in it but I don't know what those are for. The flasher unit I have no clue about. Unfortunately, I don't have a Chilton or Hayes manual to refer to.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

ctesla
10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Steve,
do the hazards still work? or are they out as well?
if they do work; may be one of the relays (if they are the same, change positions while vehicle off; then just turn ignition key to assy/on and see if you get turn signals), if so, they are like $5-10.
if the hazards do not work,
could be the multi-function switch:
turn signal/hazards/wiper/cruise (if applicable) armature.
this is where the "flasher" unit now resides; it is integrated.
no longer the $4. round, two prong in the fuse box.

multi-function sw: $120-180 (depending on cruise or not)

if you have your original owner's manual, the fuse and relay box will be broken down in it; if not, you can PM me, and I can scan in, and email you diagrams for fuse layout, and relays.

hope this helps,
chris
nrt racing

pirates4ever
10-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Ctesla,

The 4-way hazzards still work. I tried your advice of reversing the relays (they are the same model numbers). Nothing appeared to have changed. The 4-ways still worked and still no turn signals.

With the power on, if I use the turn signals, I can hear one click from the clicker, then nothing else. It's the same if I use left or right turn.

When the 4-ways I can hear the normal clicking. So I'm guessing that this is an independant switch.

For what it's worth, the clicking sound appears to be coming from behind the dash just below the radio.

Thanks for your assistance!

pirates4ever
10-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Just an update, I fixed the problem.

For anyone having a similar problem, I went by Advanced Auto and picked up a Flasher Switch.

These are located directly beneth the radio. By removing the lower two panels (you'll need a T25 bit) and losing the dash bezel you can get directly to the switches. The one on the left is for the hazzard 4-ways and the one on the right is for turn signals.

The replacement part cost me around $8.

ctesla
10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Just an update, I fixed the problem.

For anyone having a similar problem, I went by Advanced Auto and picked up a Flasher Switch.

These are located directly beneth the radio. By removing the lower two panels (you'll need a T25 bit) and losing the dash bezel you can get directly to the switches. The one on the left is for the hazzard 4-ways and the one on the right is for turn signals.

The replacement part cost me around $8.

sorry, I didn't have a chance to get back to you.
knew it might have been this, but, was on holiday when you were figuring it out.
glad it wasn't the $180. armature switch.
keep on truckin'

chris
nrt racing

Add your comment to this topic!