Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Toyota Camery Exhaust

[RIT]IVIr_Evil
10-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Hello all,

My friend has an 1990 Toyota Camery, and I noticed an exhaust leak noise. After checking the exhaust I found that there was in fact an exhaust leak coming from the part of the exhaust that looks like a filter. This part sits inbetween the crossmember and undercarriage towards the front of the car. I was wondering if this was the "cat" or another component of the exhaust system.

thanks
-tom

JOET/CAMRY
10-04-2005, 04:00 PM
IVIr_Evil']Hello all,

My friend has an 1990 Toyota Camery, and I noticed an exhaust leak noise. After checking the exhaust I found that there was in fact an exhaust leak coming from the part of the exhaust that looks like a filter. This part sits inbetween the crossmember and undercarriage towards the front of the car. I was wondering if this was the "cat" or another component of the exhaust system.

thanks
-tom
Hello RIT]IVIr_Evil', The part your'e refering to is not the catalic converter or a filter. it is called the flex pipe A.K.A basketweave looking part. it allows the exhaust pipe to flex when the engine shifts in the engine compartment. without this part the exhaust pipe would keep breaking in the area where the flex is located. My flexpipe was leaking on a 1985 camry I owned in the past. I had a welder just cut the flexpipe part out and replace it with a strait piece of exhaust pipe. the pipe kept on breaking every 3 months. :mad: :2cents:

Regards, JOET/CAMRY

[RIT]IVIr_Evil
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Hello RIT]IVIr_Evil', The part your'e refering to is not the catalic converter or a filter. it is called the flex pipe A.K.A basketweave looking part. it allows the exhaust pipe to flex when the engine shifts in the engine compartment. without this part the exhaust pipe would keep breaking in the area where the flex is located. My flexpipe was leaking on a 1985 camry I owned in the past. I had a welder just cut the flexpipe part out and replace it with a strait piece of exhaust pipe. the pipe kept on breaking every 3 months. :mad: :2cents:

Regards, JOET/CAMRY
Awesome thanks for the help and info.. happen to know where I could find one online?

Toysrme
10-04-2005, 08:13 PM
The pipe itself is extremely expencive.
You can buy replacement flex for like $20 online, or on ebay stores.

You cut the old section off with a sawzall, or whatever & weld the new one in.

vicchang
10-05-2005, 11:21 AM
The pipe itself is extremely expencive.
You can buy replacement flex for like $20 online, or on ebay stores.

You cut the old section off with a sawzall, or whatever & weld the new one in.

Except EBay, what are the other online stores? Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!